fault alarming and telemonitoring with PLC and cell phone

M

M.Madhan Kumar

Dear sirs!
my application consists of a s7-200 plc which can be networked to control siemens micromaster drive and other appliances like cnc system..
the plc continuously monitors the performance parameter of appliances.if there is any abnormal condition then plc will automatically dial a particular telephone no.for particular type of fault and sends the alarm message thro a land line modem which is connected to plcs serial port ..my idea is to control the drive connected to plc using a cell phone sms(cell phone calls land line modem connected to plc and sends sms message)or else thro a land line modem itself
is it possible to do the same? if so how?

thanking u,
madan

S

Shantanu Biswas

Hi,

My small software company is corking on a product which uses a GSM modem connected to a PC which in turn is connected to the PLC. The small piece of software will be able to send SMS alarm messages as well as receive SMS messages to control specific PLC variables.

We are also working on solutions that would not require the PC (i.e. the GSM modem connects directly to a PLC serial port). Currently we were not focussing on Siemens PLC. However, in case you have a specific need then please do let us know.

Thanks

Santanu Biswas
[email protected]

M

Marc Sinclair

I have done this using a GSM mobile phone. I used an s7-226 with port 0 to control the USS drives, and port 1 in freeport mode via a converter lead to a Nokia mobile phone, simple commands allow the reading and writing of sms messages, I've not tried using the multiple message format used for multimedia messages, but that could allow you to exceed the 160 byte maximum. You though, want to send sms to a land line number, I'm not sure where you are in the world, but here in england, it is possible to send and receive SMS from landlines that allow CLID. I think though, the firmware in the modem module may not support this. What about WAP format to communicate real time? I think this gives more possibilites

Marc Sinclair