Honeywell DCS

S

SHAH REZA

What are the major differences between honeywell Plant Cruise DCS and Experion PKS DCS?

I have found both system using same controller C300 but Different Part No. Again I/O modules are not same. For Plant Cruise system they offered S8 IOM which is different from Experion PKS. Asking them answer was found that both are complete DCS but for cost optimization and smaller system they offer plant cruise.

So if anyone knows anything more detail regarding these DCS please share with me.

Thanks In Advance

The Esperion Plant Cruise in cheaper, but it is limited in redundant equipment. If you need redundancy down to the controller and IO-Module level you need to have a Experion PKS with C300.

The other chance is to use the new UOC (Universal Operational Controller) it is specifically designed for batch application has a lot redundancy options, but not everything, has more performance then C300 and use main Ether I/O for sensor and actuators, therefore you may have difficulties in a hazardous area. UOC us the CEE (Common Execution Environment) then a C300 as PlantCruise controllers do. The choice you make depends on the type plant and process you have to control, the cheapest might not be the best on a long term run (may you the plant for 20+ years), have a strong look the long term operation- and maintenance costs.

>What are the major differences between honeywell Plant
>Cruise DCS and Experion PKS DCS?

From a Plant Cruise solution note:
PlantCruise by Experion's innovative technologies are vital to improved plant performance and better business results, and can be implemented in a way that suits your individual site.

- Tightly integrated DCS and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)

- Honeywell's Experion C300 controller for robust and versatile control

- C300 simulation for proving out control strategies

- Honeywell's patented, high-performance Fault Tolerant Ethernet (FTE) control network

- Optional redundancy at all levels: server, network, C300 controller and Series 8 I/O modules

- Direct Station never loses view or control of field devices

- Honeywell's patented, revolutionary Profit® Loop algorithm for predictive control

- Unique I/O module design for compact footprint, and efficient installation and maintenance

- Improve accuracy and reduce installation footprint by up to 54% with new TC/RTD module design

- Improve efficiency and reduce configuration time by up to 30% with Honeywell's enhanced Control Builder and newly styled Human-Machine Interface (HMI)

- IEC 61850 interface enables integration with the electrical system in a single control/SCADA platform

- IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) support for system-wide SOE

- Powerful reporting tool for debugging and system maintenance

- Smart device integration through industry-standard protocols such as HART®, FOUNDATION fieldbus, PROFIBUS and Modbus

Plant Cruise is less expensive because there are no redundant Experion servers between the field and the operator stations. It uses Direct stations which are a combined server and operator station. I don't know what the point, SCADA and controller limits are for a Direct station.

You will have to ask Honeywell.

good luck

1. The software of the PKS is more functional and practical than PlantCruise (PC). The PC cannot support Universal IO of Honeywell.
2. The PlantCruise has not firewall which is necessary for PKS or any other control system.
3. The IO cards of PlantCruise don't have circuit breaker protection and PKS has this.
4. The hardware of PlantCruise is designed and produced in China, the fault rate of PlantCruise is much higher than PKS.
5. Due to limitation in Redundancy, the Experion PlantCruise is cheaper, if you need redundancy down to the controller and IO-Module level you need to have an Experion PKS with C300.
6. PlantCruise is cheaper because there are no redundant Experion servers between the field and the operator stations. It uses Direct stations which are a combined server and operator station and it is a high risk for Honeywell system. This is a key problem of PC
7. Experion PlantCruise is designed specifically for smaller plants like Experon LX – less than 5,000 I/O points, one engineering and up to 15 operator stations – that require a control system that is not Complex.
(https://www.automationworld.com/pro...tem-for-small-to-midsize-process-applications)
8. Both systems, Experion PKS and PlantCruise using the same controller C300 but Different Part No. even the I/O modules are not same. For PlantCruise system, Honeywell offered S8 IOM Series, which is different from Experion PKS for cost optimization and smaller system, Honeywell offers PlantCruise.
9. The PlantCruise (PC) system is being sold in China to compete with Supcon and Hollysys when the client is not focusing on technical issues.
10. The Experion PKS Low-Level Analog Input Module (8C-PAIMA1) provides 16 Points RTD/TC inputs. BUT in point of cost-saving view, the PlantCruise TC/RTD module (LLMUX IOP) drives up to 64 channels of temperature inputs which is too much to drive the temperature measuring in oil industries.!

Hope you all the best

Really sad to see the comments.

As a consultant to plantcruise the major difference here Experion is sold by Honeywell directly and plantcruise\LX is sold via channel partners mainly.
Almost everything is identical. I see a lot of comments on redundancy. To clear the doubts plantcruise is redundant in all aspects. Server is there which are redundant and controllers are redundant and native redundant IO's. FTE is supported. If people are aware of the fact that Experion developed Mark II io's from plantcruise.

Licensing is also very competative compred to experion. It was developed to mostly asian parts to counter low cast SCADA/PLC hybrid systems offered.

Need more help. Let me know.