Automation System for Filtering System

K

khairil

I am looking for a potential automation and monitoring system for the filtering system of my hydro turbine cooling water system. The automation system will be controlling motors (to run the pumps and conveyors, to filter the cooling water)and receiving inputs from field instruments, i.e.: pressure and temperature.

Currently I need some suggestions on what kind of automation system would be best for such application, and what is the price range for such a system. I also need some suggestions and price range for the field instruments too (pressure and temperature field instruments).

Thank you.

B

Bob Peterson

I doubt it amkes any real difference what brand of PLC you pick. All of them are quite capable of this type of general automation work.

The real issues will be cost, local support, familiarity, etc. Same thing goes for instrumentation.

Only you can make those decisions because only you know what your situation is. No one else has any means to know what PLC or DCS brand will cost you the least in your situation, nor what company has the best local support in your area, or what brands you and your techs/operators are familiar with.

D

David Farris

Your statements above, although it's good information, is very broad. I would suggest Bristol Babcock as a supplier of these types of devices. Bristol has reletively new PLC that might fit very nicely in your application, the ControlWave Micro is IEC61131-3 compliant, Ethernet ready, host a load of I/O as well as Ethernet I/O suitable for plant environments. The base cost of this PLC is around $2000. Bristol also manufactures pressure, temperature and multivariable transmitters. To make the job complete, Bristol offers OpenEnterprise as a SCADA host.

If you would like more information, please contact me [email protected]

Thanks,
David Farris

R

Robert Dusza

Khairil,

Check out The ControlWave by Bristol Babcock, Inc. at www.controlwave.com The have a great unit and the possibilities are almost limitless. They have a competitively priced product. Full implementation of the IEC-61131-3 Software Languages.

We use their 33XX products, but are making the transition to the CW in the next couple of months.

Bob

Robert J. Dusza, Jr.
Project & Technical Support Manager
(V) 1-860-647-3219
(F) 1-860-647-3150
E-mail - [email protected]
Manchester Water & Sewer Dept.
125 Spring St. P.O. Box 191
Manchester, CT 06045-0191

K

Khairil Anuar Sulong Ahmad

hello david..

thank you very much for your input.. your information has been taken into consideration for our project..

thank you...

Khairil Anuar Sulong Ahmad Electrical Engineer TNB Research Sdn. Bhd. 6-03-8926-8818, ext. 2061

C

Curt Wuollet

Emphatically no! Because this is simply Ethernet and you can simply use Ethernet standards. There is plenty of information available, Ethernet is an Open Standard, and the last, absolutely the last, thing we need are proprietary perversions of same. If you need tougher stuff, run 50 ohm coax cable which can be had in hardline and many other forms. With Mil certified connectors that have been standardized for decades. Or fiber which can be armored. Even cat 5 is available in industrial grades. Even the RJ connectors can be had in ruggedized versions as tough as an insulator can be. Why would anyone want to destandardize one of the few things that are common across the board?

Regards

cww