Connecting a transmitter to HMI

Mpanahipour,

How would you answer the original poster's question?

He didn't tell us anything about the transmitter (manufacturer; model number; etc.) and nothing about what he's done and what the results were. He could have taken some wire and terminated it at both ends and said, "Well--this isn't working!" What kind of communication method is he using: TCP over Ethernet; RS-485; ??? What has he done at the transmitter end to configure the information he's looking for--does he know what registers and what method the transmitter is configured to send data using (SIGNED; UNSIGNED; NATIVE; etc)??? What program/app is he using on the HMI? How is it configured? If it uses a serial COMM port, how is that configured???

WTF???

So I ask you for solutions for my watch which has stopped. What are you going to have to ask me--you can't see the watch. I haven't told you anything about it what I've done to try to fix the watch or when it stopped working.

You're going to need to know if it's an analog or a digital watch. Does it use a battery or a spring-movement? When was the last time the batter was replaced or the watch was wound? Is there anyinformation on the digital display or is it blank? Do the hands move on the analog watch? Would it help you if I told you the watch was found in a sink full of water, and had been there for several hours overnight? Would you ask if it was waterproof or water resistant?

YOU'D HAVE TO PLAY 20 QUESTIONS if I didn't provide some information, right? You'd have to take the time to write out all of the questions you thought were relevant, and then, if you're lucky, I might choose to respond to 1/3 of them, ignoring the rest and leaving you to have to continue to ask or guess.

We do this every day at Control.com. "It's broke. It doesn't work. Why did my turbine trip? What do i do??!!!?!?" And, so we ask some questions, we get very few responses (sometimes none if we ask a LOT of questions) and if we just start saying, "Do this," or "Do that." we get, "We tried that; and it didn't work." So why the hell don't they tell us what they did and what the results were? We're NOT telepathic mind-readers--not over the World Wide Web.

Now do you understand, Mpanahipour?

So, any solutions for my watch? How about trying to help the original poster??? Instead of responding to rhetorical questions?

Unfortunately I’ve reported you due to your rude attitude and trying to mock the members. Hope you find a group in your brain level.
I'm good with that. And, I've already reduced myself to your level. I'm going back up where the air is a little fresher; it stinks down here.

Enjoy.

It's unusual to attempt direct connection of field device to HMI.
Can you provide a few more details of the HMI and CO sensor, connection details
and the results of your attempts at connection.

You could’ve ask these questions politely and ask me to provide full info going forward. It’s my first visit and first question on this forum and hope the other members aren’t like you.

Have a look at my (MANY) posts. I ask a LOT of questions, sometimes for the same requests which have been answered many times. I try very hard to be patient; sometimes I don't succeed. I get a few comments from other posters/responders that I have the patience of Job (though it's a nice compliment, it's not true). I just try to remember what it's like when one is new to the industry and engineering. But, your post is so typical of people these days. One sentence "description" of the problem. You used a question mark; many don't, but did you ask politely. "Can anyone offer any solutions, please?" (Of course I know there are some cultures and locations in the world where this is not a word for please.... so I generally try to look past that.)

I ask you, Mpanahipour, how would you answer your own original post? What information would you need to be able to respond? Come on, how would you respond to your own post? What solution would you recommend first? Tell us, please. (See, I can be nice!)

So, what solutions would you recommend in your first post, sir? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's unusual to attempt direct connection of field device to HMI.
Can you provide a few more details of the HMI and CO sensor, connection details
and the results of your attempts at connection.
Transmitter:
Honeywell E3Point gas transmitter
Or QEL Q5 transmitter.
HMI : Cermate PK series
I’ve connected the transmitter modbus terminal to the HMI’s modbus port and introduced the sensor as a slave modbus component. Also I think I did right addressing on the registers.
What else you want to know.
I can attach the user manuals if you need.

Mpanahipour,

Welcome to the forum! There are many knowledgable and helpful members here that can help you, however, we need you to be more precise and detailed with your questions. Please understand that the members here take valuable time away from their normal work schedules and lives to help others. By providing as much detailed information as possible, this reduces the valuable time we need to spend understanding your particular issue and can help you solve your issue more quickly.

So to start, please provide us with the following information.
  1. What is the vendor and model of the CO sensor?
  2. What is the vendor and model of the HMI?
  3. What version of Modbus are you using? Are you using Modbus RTU over an RS-485 connection? Are you using Modbus/TCP over an Ethernet connection?
  4. How do you have the CO sensor connected to the HMI? Please detail all RS-485 wires or Ethernet cables, Ethernet switches etc.
  5. What are the Modbus configuration settings you've tried on both the CO sensor and HMI to establish Modbus communications? Please provide details on settings such as baud rate, parity, address, IP address, port number, etc.

Have a look at my (MANY) posts. I ask a LOT of questions, sometimes for the same requests which have been answered many times. I try very hard to be patient; sometimes I don't succeed. I get a few comments from other posters/responders that I have the patience of Job (though it's a nice compliment, it's not true). I just try to remember what it's like when one is new to the industry and engineering. But, your post is so typical of people these days. One sentence "description" of the problem. You used a question mark; many don't, but did you ask politely. "Can anyone offer any solutions, please?" (Of course I know there are some cultures and locations in the world where this is not a word for please.... so I generally try to look past that.)

I ask you, Mpanahipour, how would you answer your own original post? What information would you need to be able to respond? Come on, how would you respond to your own post? What solution would you recommend first? Tell us, please. (See, I can be nice!)

So, what solutions would you recommend in your first post, sir? Inquiring minds want to know.
I don’t know you.
I didn’t see your MANY posts.As I said it's my first time in this forum. But the feedback was not good. I respect you knowledge but you must be more patient and polite. The expert people are extremely respectful near me even you CSA.

Mpanahipour,

Welcome to the forum! There are many knowledgable and helpful members here that can help you, however, we need you to be more precise and detailed with your questions. Please understand that the members here take valuable time away from their normal work schedules and lives to help others. By providing as much detailed information as possible, this reduces the valuable time we need to spend understanding your particular issue and can help you solve your issue more quickly.

So to start, please provide us with the following information.
  1. What is the vendor and model of the CO sensor?
  2. What is the vendor and model of the HMI?
  3. What version of Modbus are you using? Are you using Modbus RTU over an RS-485 connection? Are you using Modbus/TCP over an Ethernet connection?
  4. How do you have the CO sensor connected to the HMI? Please detail all RS-485 wires or Ethernet cables, Ethernet switches etc.
  5. What are the Modbus configuration settings you've tried on both the CO sensor and HMI to establish Modbus communications? Please provide details on settings such as baud rate, parity, address, IP address, port number, etc.
I also have mentioned to the vendors.
The connection is Modbus RTU over RS-485 port.
baud rate: 9600
Parity : none

I also have mentioned to the vendors.
The connection is Modbus RTU over RS-485 port.
baud rate: 9600
Parity : none
Thank you for the additional details.

How do you have the CO sensor connected to the HMI? Please detail all RS-485 wiring connections

Have you confirmed that the baud rate, parity, and address (slave address in the CO sensor, target address on the HMI) settings match in both the CO sensor and HMI? Please note that sometimes you need to power cycle devices for settings to take effect.

Thank you for the additional details.

How do you have the CO sensor connected to the HMI? Please detail all RS-485 wiring connections

Have you confirmed that the baud rate, parity, and address (slave address in the CO sensor, target address on the HMI) settings match in both the CO sensor and HMI? Please note that sometimes you need to power cycle devices for settings to take effect.
Thanks for quick reply.
I’m using 2 wires configuration and also the address, parity and baud rate are match. I even tried the power cycle.
Also I set the holding register based on the transmitter address.

I’m using 2 wires configuration
Although it's called 2-wire RS-485, it actually requires 3 connections - RS-485 +, RS-485 -, and signal reference (i.e. common, ground, etc.). Additionally, the A and B terminal labeling is not standardized in the industry, so you may need to swap your + and - wires.

Please confirm your wiring is as follows:

Cermate PK HMIHoneywell E3PointQEL Q5
RS485+ (Pin 1)A or BRS485-A or RS485-B
RS485- (Pin 6)B or ARS485-B or RS485-A
SG (Pin 5)GND/ShldGND or 24VAC neutral

The Cermate PK HMI seems to support both RS-422 and RS-485, please confirm that you have configured the necessary settings for 2-wire RS-485 on the HMI.

The E3Point does not indicate the polarity of its A and B terminals, you may need to swap these wires. It also seems to support BACnet MS/TP and Modbus RTU, please confirm that you have configured your sensor for Modbus RTU.

The QEL Q5 also does not indicate polarity of its A and B terminals, you may need to swap these wires. The QEL Q5 also does not indicate the RS-485 ground (0v) reference used for its A and B signals. If the device's RS-485 port is not isolated, the ground reference is typically the DC power supply ground or the AC power supply neutral. I recommend that you contact the manufacturer to confirm the proper RS-485 ground reference terminal on this device.

Additionally, the Q5 has a jumper (J4) for configuring the termination resistor. Make sure this is disable (OFF) and remove any other termination resistors or disable termination dip switches on all other connected RS-485 devices.

Resources used for the table above:
https://www.cermate.com/cm_K-series_InstallationGuide_v4.18.02.13.pdf
https://www.honeywellanalytics.com/.../standalone-gas-monitor-user-manual.pdf?la=en
http://www.qelsafety.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Q5_IOM1.pdf

I really appreciate your comprehensive information. I’ll double check and keep you updated.
I also tried to connect the laptop to the HMI using rs485. I used a rs485 to serial converter and tried to send some text from the laptop to the HMI using hyperterminal. It worked properly and I made sure the HMI is working good. Do I need an interface between the transmitter and the HMI?

thank you

You should not need an interface between the HMI and transmitter, since both are RS-485 and support Modbus RTU.

Although testing the HMI's RS-485 port using your computer is a good test, I recommend using a Modbus RTU slave simulator instead of Hyperterminal. This will also allow you to confirm that you've got the HMI's Modbus RTU master settings configured correctly as well as verify the RS-485 communication. There are several Modbus slave simulators available. Here are a couple

ModSim
https://www.win-tech.com/

Modbus Slave
https://www.modbustools.com/modbus_slave.html