Datalogger data to an Oracle database

R

Roger Harte

Can anyone share their "lessons learned" with me and recommend a solution for the following 'Datalogger to Oracle Database' question:

I want to capture a series of air pressure readings during several processes and store them in several dataloggers located throughout a
facility. Periodically I want to transmit (preferably via the facility LAN) the stored values into an Oracle database such that each data point is date/time stamped.

If the LAN goes down for a while, I want the system to be 'smart' enough so that, when the LAN returns to service, it knows how to seamlessly fill in the missing data in the database.

Can anyone recommend a datalogger and/or software package that can do this? Thanks.

Roger W. Harte
http:// www.ewatech.com
Tel: 703-904-5035, Fax: 703-904-5779

EWA Technologies, Inc.
Suite 500
13873 Park Center Rd.
Herndon, VA 20171

R

Rafael Becerra

I developed an Visual Basic application....

The apps reads some data from an Allen Bradley SLC500 using the OPC dll. I was capable of read and save the PLC data to an Oracle database using Microsoft technology ADO and the Oracle client...

This solution requieres you have experiencie with Visual and Patient enough to develop the apps. Also requieres you put a PC conected to each point you want to log (because you want a system which can work without LAN connection,... but if you can warranty the LAN is secure and estable, with only one computer will be suficient...)

If this could be a solution for you, let me know, and I´ll send you some portions of my code....

Best Regards

Rafael Becerra
Project Engineer
Omnicon Ltda

J

Jayaharan C J

Dear Roger ,

What I understand from your mail is that you have dataloggers spread throughout your plant capturing various analog parameters.
1.Please check up whether the datalogger has provisions for communication via RS232,RS485,or via Ethernet or so.
2.Identify the protocol the manufacturer supports
3.If there is an OPC server for the protocol then your requirement can be fulfilled using the OPC server and "OPCdatabase" from eldrige engineering.

visit "www.opcsystems.com":http://www.opcsystems.com

If ther is no OPC server available then u need to have a SCADA package that collects the data from the dataloggers with its driver software and through ODBC populates the data to the Oracle DB

Hope this helps

Jayaharan C J

Hi Roger,
I did a similar project for our client a while back. All I can tell you is that we used Citect logged into a local database and connect to Oracle using ODBC. However, we are looking at using Matrikon OPC client for ODBC and an appropriate OPC server for the PLC to do the job. Go look at Matrikon's web site. They have free download for evaluation.

Max K.
[email protected]

R

Robert Baxter

We are integrators that recently were asked last week to do almost the same thing for an air monitoring system. We looked at several options for using middle-ware, but decided to go with a direct connection that utilizes internal update functions. We are using a Gladiator box ("www.togallc.com":http://www.togallc.com ) to log data from an air monitoring system. The client wanted this data on their server under Oracle. The project is not completed yet, but all parties are happy with the solution. This type of pprogramming is way beyond what I can do, but the folks who sell the Glaidator (for a small fee) can build direct links into the Oracle DB and populate it from the field logger. If the connection between the Gladiaotr and the Oracle DB is lost, the data is held locally until it is re-established and then it updates the file.

I can let you know how this project turns out if you contact me directly.

Robert Baxter ([email protected])
B3 Systems, Inc.
Raleigh, NC
919/790-9090