Flowmeter use in Sewage line for gravity flow in underground pipeline

D

Deepak Singh

Which flow meter will be applicable to be used for sewage application in underground pipeline for flowrate and flow level measurement in Gravity flow? Tapping is not allowed.

Please reply.

W
Depends on the type of underground pipeline and what the size of the line is, and what the conditions are.

What is the pipe size?

What is the maximum flow rate?

What is the minimum flow rate?

Is there a manhole?

Is the pipe surcharging? That is, does the pipe backfill with liquid?

Is there reverse flow?

There are a variety of devices that have been developed for sewer flow monitoring, including the one the team I was on won an R&D100 award for. But the reason for the variety is that there is no "flowmeterprince charming" for open channel flow in sewers.

Walt

Walt Boyes, FInstMC, Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Life Fellow, International Society of Automation
Editor in Chief, Control and ControlGlobal.com
[email protected]

J

Jan Bradford

The advantages of magnetic flow meter technology mean that Magflow meters are commonly used in the wastewater industries. For details of magnetic flow meters being used in a similar application please see http://www.icenta.co.uk/application...+Leakage+In+Landfill+Leachate+Control+Systems

Regards
icenta Controls Ltd

<b>Moderator's note: the forum software places spaces in long URLs. Please make sure you delete them before copying and pasting the URL in your browser</b>

I've used various ultrasonic open channel flowmeters that use ultrasonic transducers from Milltronics/Siemens over the years.

Foam can throw off the level/flow readings of ultrasonics, as can dead animals, tree limbs and various storm sewer debris. But, it does work.

http://tinyurl.com/bsh6fb5

W
Mag meters may work. Krohne, ABB and others make mag meters that operate in partially filled pipes. But mag meters may not work. It depends on what the conditions are. People often make the mistake of selecting a flow or level technology and then trying to fit the application into the operating envelope of the device.

Walt

[email protected]

W
It does, if there is enough headroom for the sensor plus blanking distance; if there is a primary device in the line such as a flume or weir; or if the coefficient of roughness and slope are known well enough to make the reading better than +/- 25%; and if there is neither surcharging (flooding) or reverse flow.

Once again, I encourage the asker of the question to give us the information on the application so we can actually see what devices will or will not work _in this specific case_.

Walt

[email protected]

I need to measure flow for sewer lines that has gravity flow of 0.6-1.6m/s and the volume of flow range between .58m cube - 1.5m3/hour. the pipe size is 110mm PVC. what is the best flow meter that can be used for this purpose as i also need a pulse signal to control valves as per the amount of flow? I have asked several manufacturers of magnetic flow meters but with no success...is there anyone that can assist me with a choice?

Regards
Adrian

W
Here's a Back to Basics tutorial on open channel flow (including sewer flow) that I wrote last year:

http://www.controlglobal.com/articles/2012/boyes-flow-like-egyptian.html

Once you read this, if you need more advice, come back and tell us what you need.

Beware of surcharge and reverse flow, and make sure your sewer is clean at your measurement point and for several diameters upstream and downstream.

Good luck,

Walt

[email protected]