High Voltage Motor Temperature Rise

Greetings to all,

A high voltage motor was sent for rewinding, and when it came back, its temperature increased by around 20 deg. It is cooled by an air-to-air heat exchanger and motor cooling fan (MCF) driven by motor shaft.

Can someone help in identifying the possible causes of temperature increase?

I assume that the heat exchanger is most probably causing the temperature rise, but how to check that?

Is it possible that the winding insulation affect motor temperature? I mean for two motors exactly the same, if we used different winding for each one, i.e. class F for one and class H for the other, would that affect the motor temperature?

Thank You in Advance

Have you asked yourself:
1. Has the heat exchanger changed in any way during rewind
2. Has the motor cooling fan changed

If neither, then it's possible the copper in the rewind is not as conductive/not creating the same magnetic field as the original.

That is a little odd you would notice difference in temperature without having other concerns such as current draw which would affect temps. Ambient temp, load, voltage variation, current, fan pitch, intake obstruction, and other things as well can effect temps. Question is, are the temps within reasonable acceptable limits. I have no experience with a motor cooled by a heat exchanger, what type of system is this?

Chuck

Mohamedibr752,

what temperature do you measure exactly, copper or iron or insulation or air ambient, and where? It is possible the the old sensors were different of placed in a different way with different thermal impedance, so you get another value of temperature.

Regards

Greetings to all,

A high voltage motor was sent for rewinding, and when it came back, its temperature increased by around 20 deg. It is cooled by an air-to-air heat exchanger and motor cooling fan (MCF) driven by motor shaft.

Can someone help in identifying the possible causes of temperature increase?

I assume that the heat exchanger is most probably causing the temperature rise, but how to check that?

Is it possible that the winding insulation affect motor temperature? I mean for two motors exactly the same, if we used different winding for each one, i.e. class F for one and class H for the other, would that affect the motor temperature?

Thank You in Advance

AAliam...
The key "condition" any motor must meet, whether new or rewound, is: "Carcass Temperature must not exceed 40degC-rise above ambient" (65C in certain environments) !

Following are (I hope) answers to Mohamed's questions:
1) Presumable, a TEFC (Totally-Enclosed-Fan-Cooled motor.
2) Volts, Amps, and winding-slot temperatures are needed!
3) Measure In and Out temperature of air-to-air heat exchanger and volume & rate of air through it!
4) 'H' insulation allows higher operating temp. Caution... on a rewind it does't mean you can automatically increase the motor's HP capacity! You should seek help from the mfg!

Regards, Phil Corso

Alliam...
I should have asked first, "What kind of Plant is it in?"
If the motor's in a location where flammable or explosive materials are handled, and the motor is not rated "Explosion-Proof" then, it must be fitted with a system that "places" the motor in a less dangerous location. That "system" encases the motor in a "box" purged with air taken from a non-dangerous location!
So, what you believe is an air-to-air heat-exchanger is really just an air-handler!

The reason it's used is based on economics... a purged TEFC motor is a fraction of the cost of an "Explosion-Proof" motor!

Please let me know if I'm wrong!