Honeywell CL programming

S

S. Bakker

Hi!

The next few months in our plant a big CL-program has to be redesigned. As there's little time to test the program before it actually has to work, we're looking for a software application that can read, compile and test (ie set flags, numerics, etc.) Honeywell CL programs. Any ideas?

C

Chris Deverill

Hi.

Its not clear from your question whether you are referring to an AM/CL program or a HPM/CL program, although if you are referring to flags and numerics I guess it is in the HPM.

In some respects, I might have some software that could help you out, but I think one of the issues is that running the CL code, and testing against flags and numerics is only part of the problem.

In 2001 I wrote an application which performed a translation from CL to C++. The input was AM/CL source files, the output was C++ source. The C++ code was then compiled to a DLL, which was linked into the operator training simulator of a well-known simulation company.

I also worked on a HPM/CL to C++ translator, but this was not developed to the same extent as the AM/CL version.

While this produced code that ran a very good emulation of the original CL, it required a framework of emulated TDC points (AM and HPM) in order to provide a realistic emulation of the overall application.

Even then, there is often a need for some form of simulation for the process itself if the program is to get the feedback it requires for correct operation (e.g a measuring a flow after turning on a pump)

One of my "hobby" projects has been to write a HPM emulation which would include CL code, but this is still very much under development. An alternative is to use a full-blown training simulator, but this would be relatively expensive.

In some respects, if your application is confined to say one HPM, it might be better to just buy or hire a test HPM and run it in in simulation mode.

If, on the other hand, your app uses both HPM and AM CL, or is split across several HPMs, you might be better off going the route of emulation in a PC, as long as you are aware of the amount of work required.

Get in touch if you want to discuss it further - the contact details are on the web page.

Chris D
http://www.procdev.com

Hi.

Its not clear from your question whether you are referring to an AM/CL program or a HPM/CL program, although if you are referring to flags and numerics I guess it is in the HPM.

In some respects, I might have some software that could help you out, but I think one of the issues is that running the CL code, and testing against flags and numerics is only part of the problem.

In 2001 I wrote an application which performed a translation from CL to C++. The input was AM/CL source files, the output was C++ source. The C++ code was then compiled to a DLL, which was linked into the operator training simulator of a well-known simulation company.

I also worked on a HPM/CL to C++ translator, but this was not developed to the same extent as the AM/CL version.

While this produced code that ran a very good emulation of the original CL, it required a framework of emulated TDC points (AM and HPM) in order to provide a realistic emulation of the overall application.

Even then, there is often a need for some form of simulation for the process itself if the program is to get the feedback it requires for correct operation (e.g a measuring a flow after turning on a pump)

One of my "hobby" projects has been to write a HPM emulation which would include CL code, but this is still very much under development. An alternative is to use a full-blown training simulator, but this would be relatively expensive.

In some respects, if your application is confined to say one HPM, it might be better to just buy or hire a test HPM and run it in in simulation mode.

If, on the other hand, your app uses both HPM and AM CL, or is split across several HPMs, you might be better off going the route of emulation in a PC, as long as you are aware of the amount of work required.

Get in touch if you want to discuss it further - the contact details are on the web page.

Chris D
http://www.procdev.com
Hi,
I am working on a migration project & I need to translate AM CL code into a VB script or C/C++.

[email protected]