How is the relationship between ohms law, voltage and amps in a synchronous generator?

Hello everybody!

I have read many posts here about how to increase the power of a synchronous generator without affecting either frequency or voltage. Most people write that it takes place by changing the torque and thus the amps. But how can one increase the amps while keeping the voltage constant? According to ohm's law, shouldn't the voltage increase in proportion to the amperes when the resistance is constant? Is there anyone who can explain to me what I am misunderstanding? I need to use it for a project about synchronous generators.

Best regards

There are counter-emf's and back-emf's and armature reactions and all sorts of things that go on inside a synchronous generator. There are all manner of textbooks and references and YouTube videos all about this very thing; some are videos of university lectures, even.

A synchronous generator has an excitation system--an exciter. Some refer to it as an Automatic Voltage Regulator, or AVR. It is the duty of the exciter/AVR to control the excitation to maintain the generator terminal voltage, though generator terminal voltage can also be used to control VArs (Volt-Amperes, Reactive) and Power Factor.

But, to increase the amperes produced by a synchronous generator it is necessary to increase the torque being applied to the generator rotor from the prime mover. There's no other way. Those amperes (at some voltage, usually a very constant voltage) are then transmitted via wires to loads some distance away from the location of the generator and its prime mover. And, if the loads are motors, the motors then convert those amperes into torque to do useful work. (Televisions and computers and computers monitors and lights and tea kettles are also forms of "work", though that can often be a subject for discussion, eh?) Electricity is all about producing power in one area, and then transmitting that power over long distances to areas where it's needed using wires, where it is converted back into "useful" work. The same could be done with long shafts and pulleys, but wires are much easier to run and to maintain (until they start wildfires because the utility didn't trim the brush/trees beneath them).

Hello everybody!

I have read many posts here about how to increase the power of a synchronous generator without affecting either frequency or voltage. [...]

Best regards
Hi, ChristianFM97!

You can increase the amps if the additional heat can be properly removed from the generator. The extra amps means additional braking torque from the part of the generator, so a decrease in frequency if the active/motor torque of the turbine will remain the same. In order to maintain the right frequency (after all it is a synchronous generator), we need to balance the two above mention torques: braking and motor. This balance is obtained by increasing the active power of the turbine, usually a hydraulic turbine, by feeding it with a larger flow of water or by raising the head of the turbine.

Actually you need a new unit (generator and turbine)...