How to use DataPort's XML Webserver

C

Correy Collins

Does anyone know where I can find information on how to use the DataPort Webserver? I would like to export real-time data from the DataPort XML webserver to a webpage that I am developing in FrontPage 98, but I am unsure on where to start.

I am a new addition to a small contract packaging firm and am trying to design a data collection network to monitor run rates on 6 AB SLC 5/03s. I have installed RSLINX OEM and WebDocks DataPort 7.0 on a computer in my office and have been able to create a test DH485 network with a few 5/03s that were laying around. Currently I can communicate with both PLCs and can use DataPort to sample data points from some test locations in the PLCs (N7:0 ect) that I have incrementing with counters. I can use DataPort to timestamp and store the data points in a MS Acess 2000 database and have used the built in webpage that comes included with the DataPort software. I would however like ot develop a simple webpage in in MS FrontPage 98 (what I have laying around)that would have some refresing bargraphs ect. to display the information being gathered in real-time. I believe that this is the function of DataPorts XML Webserver but have NO IDEA on how to use it or how to build refreshing bargraphs. I have some experience in C (Unix/Linux)and VB but have never played with Java or HTML. If anyone knows how I should approch building a website with these "real-time" features the help would be greatly appreciated. At this point I would even consider ditching the bar graph idea from a simpler model that would just display a refreshing number representing run-rates
ie.
Cartoner X = XXX PPM

Eventually I would like to use the data I pull in from the XML server to drive a bargraph on the webpage that would display the production rates of two packaging line (refresh every 10 seconds or so). I also am unsure on how to create such a bar graph and so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try the following from the WebDock download page http://www.webdock.net/view.phtml?aid=84

The following clients and controls are designed to work with the DataPort XML server.<br>
<a href="/public/downloads/testclient.zip">Download Visual Basic XML Demo client.</a><br>
<a href="/public/downloads/Web_TankControl.zip">Download XML Web Page Vessel control.</a>