I am facing an issue to get that ControlST Toolbox fixed on my laptop ( version 04.07.03C) TO open & visualize .dcb & .trn file of EX2000.

Good day ALL

I am facing an issue to get that ControlST Toolbox fixed on my laptop ( version 04.07.03C) TO open & visualize .dcb & .trn file of EX2000.

Looks like The trn/dcb files, are frozen and i have no access on them ...

I got the following Message & "preview report"

Here is the message displayed as soon i open the file :

1608477677157.png

With following preview report :

1608477717028.png

Could you please check these message & report ,and tell me whats happening & how to solve the issue?

Is there any "incompatibility" Between Control St Toolbox & windows 10

Hoping that Professionnals Experts can provide some advise to troubleshoot this issue.

I would be very thankful for your support & help !

Best regards,

Controlsguy25

James,

1) What is ControlST Toolbox? Are you referring to (Legacy) Toolbox, or ToolboxST? (They are two different programs.) You have said the 9FA STAG unit uses Mark V--do you mean Mark V-to-Mark VIe Life Extension (where the Mark V is converted to a Mark VIe-compatible turbine control with Mark VIe-compatible cards)? Or do you mean Mark V--with no Mark VIe-compatible cards? Because, at least one division of GE, and one former division of GE, are selling HMIs with Control ST and ToolboxST for "plain, old" Mark V.... And the configurations of the HMIs are atrocious.

2) What version of MS-Windows is in use on the HMI at the Customer's site?

3) It has been written many times before: GE MS-Windows applications are very poorly-behaved MS-Windows applications. They don't share memory very well; they don't release memory very well; they are memory hogs (meaning they use a LOT of memory--both RAM and HDD memory); and they are just generally poorly written MS-Windows programs that very loosely follow Microsoft programming guidelines.

4) There are just some laptop PCs that ControlST and its dongles don't work well with. I think it's mostly a BIOS issue (meaning more "common" BIOS chips/software are not problematic, and other more "proprietary" BIOS chips/software are more of a problem). Realistically, GE can't be expected to test it's software with EVERY version of BIOS out there, and every version that comes out, and issue a list of what does and doesn't work. They just don't sell enough of the HMIs to have the funds to do that (though from what they charge, they should!).

5) I don't think ControlST/ToolboxST (v. 04-07.03C) works on MS-Windows 10, or if it does, probably not on every version of MS-Windows 10. Having said that, MS-Windows 10 has a "compatibility mode" that can be used to get older 16-bit, and some 32-bit programs (I think), to run on MS-Windows 10. BUT, I think that's also peculiar to 64-bit MS-Windows 10 Pro, not Home or some other "lesser" version of MS-Windows 10.

6) Creating virtual PCs of actual HMIs has worked for many people (though newer versions of MS-Windows want a legal, activated copy on the VM to run properly). There are many VM softwares out there, including Microsoft Windows versions. (I prefer VMware, but that's just a personal preference.) However, getting Customers to ghost their HMIs is not easy in this day and age.

That's all I can think of. Maybe ME42 will write in and add to this with some good information, or better than I have these days, anyway. Best of luck. That's all I got, and I'm signing off this thread.

v. 04-07.03C)
James,

1) What is ControlST Toolbox? Are you referring to (Legacy) Toolbox, or ToolboxST? (They are two different programs.) You have said the 9FA STAG unit uses Mark V--do you mean Mark V-to-Mark VIe Life Extension (where the Mark V is converted to a Mark VIe-compatible turbine control with Mark VIe-compatible cards)? Or do you mean Mark V--with no Mark VIe-compatible cards? Because, at least one division of GE, and one former division of GE, are selling HMIs with Control ST and ToolboxST for "plain, old" Mark V.... And the configurations of the HMIs are atrocious.

2) What version of MS-Windows is in use on the HMI at the Customer's site?

3) It has been written many times before: GE MS-Windows applications are very poorly-behaved MS-Windows applications. They don't share memory very well; they don't release memory very well; they are memory hogs (meaning they use a LOT of memory--both RAM and HDD memory); and they are just generally poorly written MS-Windows programs that very loosely follow Microsoft programming guidelines.

4) There are just some laptop PCs that ControlST and its dongles don't work well with. I think it's mostly a BIOS issue (meaning more "common" BIOS chips/software are not problematic, and other more "proprietary" BIOS chips/software are more of a problem). Realistically, GE can't be expected to test it's software with EVERY version of BIOS out there, and every version that comes out, and issue a list of what does and doesn't work. They just don't sell enough of the HMIs to have the funds to do that (though from what they charge, they should!).

5) I don't think ControlST/ToolboxST (v. 04-07.03C) works on MS-Windows 10, or if it does, probably not on every version of MS-Windows 10. Having said that, MS-Windows 10 has a "compatibility mode" that can be used to get older 16-bit, and some 32-bit programs (I think), to run on MS-Windows 10. BUT, I think that's also peculiar to 64-bit MS-Windows 10 Pro, not Home or some other "lesser" version of MS-Windows 10.

6) Creating virtual PCs of actual HMIs has worked for many people (though newer versions of MS-Windows want a legal, activated copy on the VM to run properly). There are many VM softwares out there, including Microsoft Windows versions. (I prefer VMware, but that's just a personal preference.) However, getting Customers to ghost their HMIs is not easy in this day and age.

That's all I can think of. Maybe ME42 will write in and add to this with some good information, or better than I have these days, anyway. Best of luck. That's all I got, and I'm signing off this thread.
CSA,

Thanks for your comments/notes on this thread.

Here following answers to your questions/comments:

1- I am referring to ControlST Toolbox which is dedicated to EX2000 ...There is no MarkV to MarkVI/VIe migration or relationship on my post no more on this unit control system .

I Only facing an issue to be able to open/visualize and modify .dcb (Logics/blocks diagrams) file and check .trn file (Trends).

2- The turbine Control TA even don't know what kind of protections relays are installed in GPP
As this issue is not related to the MarkV ( primary) So I cannot say what is version of MS-Windows installed on the HMI

3-Noted ...

4-Noted ... I have version 05 of ControlST Toolbox installed , but I need a dongle to be able to use this software..
So anybody have a suggestion for getting /buying one "without go through GE process" (I have seen a thread about that subject).

5-Thats's right , it seems that (v. 04-07.03C) is not working/compatible with MS windows 10 (home version) I didnt try with (MS window pro version) ...but your point is interesting , maybe i can use/try with 16bit version it may fix the problem..

Somebody told me that Windows7 is supporting that ControlSTtoolbox ( v. 04-07.03C)..

6-Noted ...

I am happy to get at least some remarquables points highlited ...I would like to thank you CSA for your attention &replying..

Anyway I will get that fixed , there is no doubt ...!

Again thanks for your time.

Stay safe&healthy.

James

I utilize an instance of Oracle Virtualbox running Windows 2000 pro to run my TCSS software. I initially had problems with the serial connection to the EX2000 because the Win10 laptop did not have a serial port. A Microsoft certified USB to serial adapter covered that problem. Make sure your adapter has drivers for Win2000.

Windows 2000 supports USB. NT 4 did not.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

I utilize an instance of Oracle Virtualbox running Windows 2000 pro to run my TCSS software. I initially had problems with the serial connection to the EX2000 because the Win10 laptop did not have a serial port. A Microsoft certified USB to serial adapter covered that problem. Make sure your adapter has drivers for Win2000.

Windows 2000 supports USB. NT 4 did not.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
Thanks Curious one for these informations...

The thing is that I would need a "EX2000 offline ControlST Toolbox" Installed ( no need dongle) for remote work at office ( in order to prepare some logic modifications) before to travel to site...

I struggle to find a right version ( supported by Windows 10) ...
Otherwise next step would be to install windows7 and work with ControlsSTTOOLBOX VERSION 04.07.03C

Thanks again for that support i really appreciate it !

Do not hesitate to ask for any support , that i can provide!

James

Perhaps, I should explain in more detail.

Virtual Box will allow to create a virtual machine inside of Windows 10. You then install Windows 2000 on the virtual machine you have created.

Once you have your win2000 virtual machine running, you then install eTCSS version 04.07.03C on the Win2000 virtual machine .

Start windows 10 laptop, start up your windows 2000 virtual machine and TADA Now you can open toolbox from the virtual machine.

I have tried and failed creating virtual machine HMI because of the arcnet cards for the Mark V communication do not map well to the interrupt structure of the TCI.

Perhaps, I should explain in more detail.

Virtual Box will allow to create a virtual machine inside of Windows 10. You then install Windows 2000 on the virtual machine you have created.

Once you have your win2000 virtual machine running, you then install eTCSS version 04.07.03C on the Win2000 virtual machine .

Start windows 10 laptop, start up your windows 2000 virtual machine and TADA Now you can open toolbox from the virtual machine.

I have tried and failed creating virtual machine HMI because of the arcnet cards for the Mark V communication do not map well to the interrupt structure of the TCI.
Now it more clear for me with these explanations...

I have installed Oracle VM virtual box.

I ve been told that Windows xp/7 VM can also be a solution ....

Can you plz tell me how to install Windows 2000/7/xp on that Oracle VM ...?

Thanks for your help

James

Thanks for the link ...this procedure seems to work better than the other ones on the web ...
The installation went good ... Its is just getting stuck when it asking for startup drive (Or .iso )to select ...
Can make it started .. it give a message :No bootable media found !system halted...

Any clue of what is going on other there...

Thanks

The installation went good ... Its is just getting stuck when it asking for startup drive (Or .iso )to select ...
Can make it started .. it give a message :No bootable media found !system halted...

Any clue of what is going on other there...

Ok i got it.... it need CD or iso file

I better try to install xp as a webuser give .iso file for free ...on that version

Thanks

For what it’s worth, virtual machines are handy and if you’re working with GE software, you should have one for Win7 minimum, and probably one for XP... However... comparability mode is your friend and will (probably) fix the access exception errors. If you get a “Operating System not Recognized “ error it’s time to boot up the virtual machine.

For what it’s worth, virtual machines are handy and if you’re working with GE software, you should have one for Win7 minimum, and probably one for XP... However... comparability mode is your friend and will (probably) fix the access exception errors. If you get a “Operating System not Recognized “ error it’s time to boot up the virtual machine.
According to a colleague ...
I should select all proposed icon box on the installation wizard page ...
Instead of that i selected only the interested ETCSS version...

Will let you know how about things are going on with this software installation and practice...

Dears
I used toolboxst v4.07 work in windows 10 when I was open the project an alarm appear with this text " exception of type B4FFl. TAPIException was thrown "
If any one have an idea to solve this problem.
Thanks

According to a colleague ...
I should select all proposed icon box on the installation wizard page ...
Instead of that i selected only the interested ETCSS version...

Will let you know how about things are going on with this software installation and practice...
Hello all,

That toolbox installation went fine and everything is working/operating correctly!

Thanks to the people, who were involved and got attention& spent time on this thread!

A special dedicace to Anees ! Who helped me to fix it !!!

I dont forget all other genius people on this great forum!! specially CSA & Curious One !!!

That's my contribution to share feedback on this fabulous forum!!!

Keep it up !
Stay safe & Healthy!

James

Dears
I used toolboxst v4.07 work in windows 10 when I was open the project an alarm appear with this text " exception of type B4FFl. TAPIException was thrown "
If any one have an idea to solve this problem.
Thanks
Usually this is a missing system dependency, probably the visual C++ 9.0 runtime (MSVCR90.DLL). Sometimes older windows application installers make assumptions about what system DLLs are available by default, so when you try to install them on Windows 10 they miss something that Microsoft no longer distributes by default. Also, installing ToolboxST alone without installing the ControlST DVD first means that dependencies are not installed.

I think that particular DLL can be installed by the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)". Make sure you get it from Microsoft's website, a lot of malware groups like to "helpfully" provide that kind of thing and show up in google searches.