inlet air filter

A

ananthbabu

hi

any one can explain this?

what is the diff between horizontal and vertical type of inlet air filters and how the vertical is good. now iam the new one to this any mistake in my query pl. ignore it

You will need to provide more information.

Is the site particularly dusty?

Is there dust from a nearby road or plant that is ingested by the turbine?

Will the inlet filter house be equipped with a self-cleaning system to help improve the time between filter changes?

These questions, and their answers, may help to make the decision. If you are trying to use a self-cleaning system the design of the filter house may be critical.

Also, ambient conditions (prevailing winds; contaminants), etc., should be taken into consideration.

There is no perfect filter configuration for every site/application. Each site/application needs to be considered in light of the conditions experienced at site. Consultations with filter manufacturers should help you make the decision, but be sure to include all the relevant site conditions/parameters and desires.

A
Hi

thanks csa for ur response to my query

> Is the site particularly dusty?

yes, my site is a petroleum refinery and the atmosphere air is more polluted and dusty. in my site there are four frame v turbines available in that two are horizontal balance is vertical type filters that’s why I am asking like this because of same site why the diff. types used. otherwise my doubt is vertical is the latest one used in universally

> Is there dust from a nearby road or plant that is ingested by the turbine?

no. it is a big plant so road dusts are can't entered only the mother plant dust only possible in all four units.

> Will the inlet filter house be equipped with a self-cleaning system to help
> improve the time between filter changes?

yes it has a self cleaning system.
but in this cleaning, process occurred one by one only. if it is so the cleaned one dust will accumulate in the nearby filter. is it correct or not?

ananthbabu,

Usually, the only difference in type of inlet filter house is the type that is being used by the OEM when the turbine is bought. And, that is usually determined by cost. Sometimes the space available for the turbine requires a more "compact" turbine and sometimes vertical inlet filter houses are used for this reason. But, cost and technology are usually the driving factors.

Yes, well, this is an age-old question about self-cleaning filter technologies. Self-cleaning technologies, by virtue of the way filters are arranged, will never prevent dirt being blown off adjacent filters from being ingested <b>to some degree</b> by adjacent filters. It's just impossible. You need to work with the filter manufacturers to tell them about the types of particulates you have at your site and ask them what's the best system (horizontal or vertical) for your site. And, you will also have to consider space availability/limitations.

In my experience, self-cleaning systems help prolong the time between filter changes, sometimes significantly, over systems that are not self-cleaning. Are they perfect? No. But, they're much better than the alternative.

Engineering is a series of compromises.