Lawsuits (was Linux and Unix)

D

Dick Caro

As one with first-hand experience defending against a software patent lawsuit, and that is the subject of this discussion, here is my OPINION.

The problem is NOT that software has become patentable. The problem is that people writing the patents make claims that are overly broad and tend to cover pre-existing technology AND the patent examiners are not experienced enough to know the difference. In the defense against patent infringement, the defendant can read all of the correspondence between the patent attorneys and the patent examiner. I have seen claims rejected, slightly reworded, rejected again, and then when told by the applicant's attorney that the examiner was wrong, finally accepted and the bogus patent issued.

One of the issues now on the table is the Solaia lawsuit against users of Rockwell Automation PLCs. I have had no involvement in this case other than as an interested bystander. The suit is over infringement of the Square D patent by Roseman, US 5,038,318 - "Device for communicating real time data between a programmable logic controller and a program operating in a central controller".

Here is the full text of the abstract of this patent: "Add-in program instructs operable through a general purpose spreadsheet program in a personal computer to move real-time status and control messages directly between cells in the displayed spreadsheet and addressed registers of programmable logic controllers (PLCs) is disclosed. The PLCs operate such as machine tools for processing stations and connect together and to an interface card in the personal computer over a network. The invention facilities a user's real-time monitoring and control of the manufacturing performed at the machine tools or processing stations through mathematical and logical features of the spreadsheet, which are well known and easy for a user to implement."

You can read it yourself at: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1 &u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,038,318.WKU.&OS=PN/5,038,318&RS=P N/5,038,318

If the patent had been issued to Lotus Engineering for their program "Lotus Measure", then I would have no question. Since Lotus is mentioned in the "Other References" section, there is no doubt in my mind that Roseman simply liked what he saw in Lotus Measure the previous year and created this patent to apply to a PLC. The Lotus Measure software only mentions generic data acquisition equipment which they thought would be like I/O cards in a personal computer. To me, this is not very creative, novel, or patentable, but that is only my opinion. I believe that the implementation of this patent at Square D actually used Lotus Measure software bridged to their PLC rather than to internal I/O cards.

The filing date for this patent was Dec. 17, 1987 but it was not issued until August 6, 1991. Obviously it had be rejected and refiled many times in these four years.

The problem facing Solaia, who acquired all rights to this patent in 2000 from Schneider Electric which now owns Square D, is that no one actually acquires data from PLCs to stuff it into spreadsheets. That fact didn't phase Solaia! All they knew was that Rockwell's software acquired data from their PLCs and passed it on to their PC-based software. The fact that Rockwell used OPC/DA to do this and did not use a spreadsheet, has made no difference. Solaia has sued almost a dozen users of Rockwell PLCs for large amounts of damages, and then has settled for much smaller sums out of court. The settling amounts have not been revealed, but are most likely between one-quarter and one-half million US dollars. Just enough to be less than the cost of litigating the matter. Solaia has selected to file against profitable end users because there is so many of them. They have not wanted to engage Rockwell, which has now filed a suit against Solaia.

So we have another problem with software patents: using them to extort money from innocent users with the threat of protracted legal cases. Personally, I would like to see Solaia and their lawyers convicted of fraud and extortion. A little jail time might fix this problem.

On August 4, 2003, Anan Omus wrote:
> On August 2, 2003, Vladimir E. Zyubin wrote:
>> It seems it is not right. I bet there is a lot of borrowed codes in
>> the close systems... Which way can somebody check the close systems
>> for lack of the violations? <

> You file a lawsuit. <
And you think, MS open the source codes for the community after that? MS, that try to protect the source codes by law... because (as they argue) it increases the safety...

And what will give the occasion for the lawsuit? My suspicions? It is ridiculous... and obviously, the situation is not symmetric... it is a game with one goal...

>> The other question -- why it is possible in the USA to patent wheels?
>> I know there is a possibility to patent algorithms (sic!) in the USA.
>> It is obviously counterproductive laws... Is there any changes in mind
>> of the community? <
> Obviously counterproductive to everyone except patent lawyers. Why is
> it possible to patent algorithms in the USA? Who do you think has
> more influence with the legislators that implemented this bad law?
> Software engineers or lawyers? The answer tells you why. And because
> the damage this does to our industry is indirect (mostly big
> companies suing other big companies right now) many otherwise sharp
> people think it is inappropriate to discuss here the political
> aspects of the patent lawsuit du jour and all the slow but inexorable
> damage it does to innovation and the ability for individuals and
> small businesses to build software. Until EVERYBODY is screaming
> about the destruction possible with software patents, there won't be
> any changes. And, with WTO alignment of IP policy across the globe,
> this could be coming to a country near you.
Yes. But now I see only the attempts to fix the ugly situation. DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) for example...

BTW, there are opinions, that it violates USA constitution... the First Amendment. What about USA citizens? IMO, it is more important than cheap oil and a bottle of beer near TV screen...

So, everybody ought to discuss the matter... to make the things clear. It is a very bad situation when lawers make decisions in fields where they have no appropriate education... in the field where _complete comprehension_ is not exist... So, the question must be solved not only by lawers... but, necessarily, with software engineers' help and with philosophers' assistance as well.

--
Best regards.
Vladimir E. Zyubin mailto:[email protected]

( Complete thread: http://www.control.com/1026178002/index_html )

W
Right on. And there are other pre-existing software products besides Lotus Measure. TAL's The Software Wedge, for instance, which does the same thing.

This patent is ridiculous, and Solaia is a group of lawyers who think they can tax automation.

Walt Boyes

---------------------
Spitzer and Boyes LLC
"consulting from the engineer
to the distribution channel"
21118 SE 278th Place
Maple Valley, WA 98038
Ph. 425-432-8262
Fx. 253-981-0285
[email protected]
www.spitzerandboyes.com
--------------------------

V

Vladimir E. Zyubin

Hello automation,

On August 10, 2003, Dick Caro wrote:
> As one with first-hand experience defending against a software patent lawsuit,
aacc> and that is the subject of this discussion, here is my OPINION.
>
> The problem is NOT that software has become patentable.
>
> I spoke about algorithms (way to solve a COMPUTER/MATHEMATICAL task)
patents... Another problem is "standards" that are based on
patented solutions...
>
> The problem is that people writing the patents make claims that are overly broad and
> tend to cover pre-existing technology AND the patent
> examiners are not experienced enough to know the difference. In the
> defense against patent infringement, the defendant can read all of the
> correspondence between the patent attorneys and the
> patent examiner. I have seen claims rejected, slightly reworded, rejected
> again, and then when told by the applicant's attorney that the examiner was
> wrong, finally accepted and the bogus
> patent issued. <

Yes. Mainly it is connected with the problem of _obvious_ solution. Your example is an example of obvious solution... Frequent attribute of the patents is lack of the prototypes.

> One of the issues now on the table is the Solaia lawsuit against
> users of Rockwell Automation PLCs.

[...]

> So we have another problem with software patents: using them to extort money
> from innocent users with the threat of protracted legal cases. Personally,
> I would like to see Solaia and their
> lawyers convicted of fraud and extortion. A little jail time might fix this problem. <

Too strict way... :) IMO, Just to cancel the patents will be enough.

--
Best regards.
= Vladimir E. Zyubin mailto:[email protected]

Good news in the most recent issue of START magazine that follows this travesty. The last 12 of the Solaia lawsuits have been dismissed. I think that this means we have seen the end of these suits. Usually, when they settle out of court, we don't see the word "dismissed." The only question now is if the 6 companies that settled file lawsuits to get their money back.

Dick Caro
============================================
Richard H. Caro, CEO
CMC Associates
2 Beth Circle, Acton, MA 01720
Tel: +1.978.635.9449
Mobile: +1.978.764.4728
Fax: +1.978.246.1270
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.CMC.us

A settlement in Federal Court is recorded as a dismissial (see Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 41). According to Start Magazine, 15 Solaia cases have been settled and recorded as dismissed.

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hey Dick - tried to get to startmag.com but no avail. Right link?? or do you have the article you can post. Thx mate. Very important.

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com

Lynn,

Good reference, but as you say, a little dated. I am not against software patents per se, but the US patent law is being subverted by most of the recent patents I have seen. US patent law allows patenting of a new or novel process, under which software patents have been granted. In the US law it states that "The term "process" means process, art or method, and includes a new use of a known process, machine, manufacture, composition of matter, or material."

These pages give the conditions under which an idea is NOT patentable: http://www.law.cornell.edu/patent/35uscs102.html http://www.law.cornell.edu/patent/35uscs103.html

US patent law is clear and well understood. The problem is that patent lawyers can create claims using language that makes a process (the software) seem non-obvious or to not be covered by a prior patent, even when it's obvious to everyone and has been on the market for years. Often, the patent examiners are only recently out of law school and have little or no knowledge of the subject. The experienced patent attorneys for the big companies roll right over them and dismiss their objections and often bury them in technobabble. I have seen this correspondence and it isn't pretty.

Dick Caro
Richard H. Caro, CEO
CMC Associates
2 Beth Circle, Acton, MA 01720
Tel: +1.978.635.9449 Mobile: +1.978.764.4728
Fax: +1.978.246.1270
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.CMC.us

S

Steve Myres, PE

On August 15, 2003, Dick Caro wrote:
> The only question now is if the 6 companies that
> settled file lawsuits to get their money back. <

If they settled, how can they now come back for another bite and say "Oh, no, we really didn't mean it". They simply guessed wrong when they evaluated their risk exposure by not settling. If solaia (I refuse to capitalize) had won the last twelve lawsuits, could THEY seek to revoke the settlements? I don't think so.

F

Fred Townsend

A deal is a deal unless fraud is involved. Fraud can be difficult to prove. On the other hand if solaia were faced with a class action suit with a major source of income removed, the shoe might be on the other foot.

Fred Townsend

M

Michael Griffin

I had a rather interesting discussion a couple of years ago with someone who is heavily involved in the patent process in a very large American company which has a great many patents. I was told that it is very rare anymore that patents are applied for in the US order to protect some new or novel invention or technology. Patents are used mainly as a defensive measure against lawsuits by other companies. If you voilate someone else's patent, then it is likely that if they are in the same general line of business they also violate several of yours. Both sides pull out big stacks of patents and argue until they eventually come to an agreement based on whose pile was the biggest. For these purposes, the quantity of patents is what matters, not the quality.

--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

M
Just a philosophical comment:
Given that an invention is something that did not exist / was not known before it was invented, the Law attempts in this case to regulate the "unknown" - nice conundrum!

I personally wholeheartedly agree with the opinion that patent law interpretation has gone too far in the software area. Please see also http://swpat.ffii.org/ FFII: Software Patents in Europe.

Meir

On one level I agree. Who knows how these legal maneuvers work. But to me it seems that solaia's suits had zero merit. There is no honor in these deals to lose. solaia was a pest to be rid of, and if it is possible to recoup the loses and even claim exemplary damages, fine.

Ron Sewell
Sigmatic Controls

C
Indeed, IBM has pulled out this stick to use on SCO. If you scrunch up your eyes a bit and look at it sideways, it's kinda poetic justice. Both abusing the system to abuse each other. Sort of a nirvana for lawyers. No honor among thieves and all that. Of course, I would give IBM the (rather low) high moral ground for actually having invented things unlike "innovators" like MS and SCO who beat their chest and rend their garments in defense of that which they swindled from others. Remember that SCO/Caldera made big bucks from a Linux IPO.

Regards

cww