MARK V ALARM (SEISMIC VIBRATION SENSOR IS DISABLED)

HELLO EVERY ONE

I HAVE MARK V UNDER WINDOWS NT, A SEISMIC VIBRATION SENSOR IS CONNECTED AND READING PROPERLY BUT IF REACHING THE TRIP POINT NO ACTION IS COMING FROM THE SYSTEM. ASWELL AN ALARM IS SHOWNIG PERMANENTLY (SEISMIC VIBRATION SENSOR IS DISABLED), I GUESS IT IS DISABLED THE IO PHYSYSCAL ADRESS.

ANY IDEE HOW TO ENABLE IT ?

You didn't tell us which vibration sensor and which model of machine. You need to take a look at the rung for the vibration sensor inputs and see what is happening there. I have attached a document which has a small section on Vibration, have a check and see if it helps. If you have a copy of the MKV Application Manual in your documents (I have but it is too big to attach here, give me an Email address, I can send you) there is a section in Appendix D at the back of the manual which has some drawings.

Take a look and good luck

Attachments

kafi_chems89,

The Mark V uses Control Constant values to enable and disable vibration sensors. It's entirely possible that someone changed the Control Constants used to configure the vibration protection algorithms and either intentionally or unintentionally disabled one of the inputs.

You really need to tell us what Frame Size machine you are working on, who the original supplier/packager was (GE; BHEL; John Brown; etc.), and how many vibration sensors are on each bearing, and the Load Gear box if the unit uses a reduction gear, and the generator bearing(s). SOME machines have redundant vibration sensors on some bearing, and some don't. It's possible to "temporarily" disable a vibration sensor that was configured for a particular location which could make it not contribute to high vibration alarm/trip detection (such as when a pick-up has been deemed to be failing or intermittent, or a sensor with the wrong sensitivity had to be substituted; etc.).

But, it's almost impossible for us to provide much information without knowing a LOT more about the vibration system and the unit you are working on.

Lastly, I don't recall the Section number of the Control Specification document provided with every GE-design heavy duty gas turbine provided with a Mark V turbine control system--but in the Section which is "devoted" to vibration protection there is usually an attempt at explaining how Control Constants are determined, AS WELL AS the Control Constants which were provided when the Mark V was new. It would also be helpful if you could provide the values of all of the vibration-related Control Constants AS WELL AS the values currently in the Mark V (from the Control Constant display of the GE Mark V HMI).

Again, to be of much more help in this forum (I'm not talking about off-line discussions you may have with other contributors) you need to provide more information. One should not assume that a single vibration sensor would trip the machine, or that two or more of a group of sensors would trip the machine. It's necessary to know what machine and how many and where the vibration sensors are located as well as the original Control Constanat values as well as the Control Constant Values currently running in the Mark V.

Without more information, we can't really be of much more help.