mark V control system <S >

Abdul majid bakti,

DENET and IONET are two different network systems in the Mark V. DENET (which stands for 'Data Exchange NETwork) is how <R>, <S>, <T> & <C> (and <D>, if so equipped) all exchange data and information, commands etc.

IONET (which stands for I/O NETwork) is how each core (<R>, <S>, <T> & <C>) each communicate with the I/O cards associated with each processor that ARE NOT in the processor core. For example, <C> can have discrete I/O (contact inputs; relay outputs) and the card which handles the inputs and outputs is a TCDA card in Loc. 1 of <CD> core. <C> communicates with the TCDA card in Loc. 1 of <CD> using its own, independent IONET (an unshielded, twisted pair cable that runs from <C> to the TCDA card in Loc. 1 of <CD>). <R> has an associated protective processor card (TCEA) in Loc. 1 of <P> core and a discrete I/O card in Loc. 1 of <QD1> (and a TCDA in Loc. 1 of <QD2>, if so equipped). <R> communicates with the TCEA card in Loc. 1 of <P> and the TCDA card in Loc. 1 of <QD1> (and the TCDA of Loc. 1 in <QD2>, if so equipped) using its own, independent IONET (which runs from <R> (the TCTG I believe) to the TCEA in Loc. 1 of <P> (also known as <X>), then to the TCDA in Loc. 1 of <QD1> (and to the TCDA in Loc. 1 of <QD2>,, if so equipped). <S> and <T> both each have their own independent IONET as well. <S>'s IONET runs to the TCEA in Loc. 3 of <P> (also known as <Y>), then to the TCDA in Loc. 2 of <QD1> (and to the TCDA in Loc. 2 of <QD2>,, if so equipped). <T>'s IONET runs to the TCEA in Loc. 5 of <P> (also known as <Z>), then to the TCDA in Loc. 3 of <QD1> (and to the TCDA in Loc. 3 of <QD2>,, if so equipped).

If I understand you correctly you have replaced the TCEA card in Loc. 3 of <P> (<Y>) and after re-starting <Y> the I/O States function of <S> still cannot recognize <Y> (the TCEA card in Loc. 3 of <P>). Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

If the I/O States function of <S> CAN recognize and display the I/O State of the TCDA in Loc. 2 of <QD1>, that would indicate that the IONET communication network is functioning "end to end" (that is, from <S> through <P> to <QD1). That would indicate that the cable between <S> (the TCTG, if I recall correctly) and <Y> (the TCEA card in Loc. 3 of <P>) is good--BUT that there is something wrong with the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P>. It also says the IONET cable from <Y> in <P> to the TCDA in Loc. 2 of <QD1> is good, and that the TCDA in Loc. 2 of <QD1> is working properly (especially if it is reporting I/O State A6 (which is "inputs enabled; communicating properly; waiting to enable outputs").

You said you replaced the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P> (the one associated with <S>), and yet still there is a problem. This is very concerning, because you indicated that the TCEA card (<Y>) you removed from Loc. 3 of <P> was not being recognized or communicating with <S> also. To me, this indicates a problem with the socketed PROM chips (two (2) of them) on the TCEA card). When you replaced the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P> you would have had to remove two socketed chips, with labels on them, and insert them in the proper orientation AND in the proper sockets as part of the exchange process. You would also have had to set the hardware ("Berg") jumpers on the new TCEA card being installed in Loc. 3 of <P> to the SAME positions as those on the TCEA card being removed from Loc. 3 of <P>.

So, that would suggest that either the PROMs on the card removed from Loc. 3 of <P> were bad, OR the installation of the PROMs on the new TCEA card being installed in Loc. 3 of <P> was not done properly (bent pins ("legs") of the chip(s); incorrect orientation of one or both of the chips; the chips were installed in the wrong sockets) OR the hardware ("Berg") jumpers were not properly set.

OR, the TCEA card you used to replace the existing TCEA card in Loc. 3 of <P> was damaged, bad or the wrong revision. (I have negelected to mention that whenever replacing cards in a Mark V turbine control panel it is important to use cards of the same revision level. PLEASE CONFIRM THE REVISION LEVEL OF THE TCEA CARD REMOVED FROM LOC. 3 OF <P> AND THE NEW TCEA CARD INSTALLED IN LOC. 3 OF <P>. This is important. Also, I have seen some sites, which purchased cards from other sites (without checking revisions!) that came with PROMs installed in the sockets on the cards which WERE NOT the proper revision. In the <P> core, ALL TCEA cards MUST have PROMs with the same revision numbers (printed on the labels on the PROM chips).

You shouldn't be disturbing or doing anything with the DENET--at all. If <C> is at I/O State A7, and <R> & <T> are also at I/O State A7, then the DENET is working fine. Your task is to get all of <S>'s I/O cards--even the ones NOT INSTALLED in <S>--to I/O State A7, and then <S> will be at I/O State A7 and the panel can safely start and operate a turbine.

Look, I know English is probably not your first language, and this might be intimidating. But, you need to be slow and methodical and logical in your troubleshooting AND in writing and reporting what you are doing. Getting a processor to I/O State A7 is not that difficult, as long as you are not flailing and doing things you shouldn't be doing (like messing with the DENET instead of the IONET) and are reporting ALL of the things you have done and the results of what you have done. I have been to many sites where, once I arrive after troubleshooting by email/phone, I find that LOTS of things were done which were not reported--and some of them resulted in knock-on problems which were also being reported and which couldn't be understood. If we don't know what you've done and what the results were, we simply ARE NOT going to be of much help as this moves forward. I know it's time-consuming to be communicating via this World Wide Web forum, but that seems to be how someone at your site has chosen to resolve this issue. So, this is what we are using--and we need good information from you to be of the most help possible.

The IONET cables are, as I've said multiple times, unshielded, twisted pair cables. By unshielded it is meant that it's just two simple small gauge wires (one black; one white) twisted together without any jacket or outer foil shield or plastic wrapper. On the TCEA card, there will be two (2) ends of IONET cables--both will look very similar, and both will be unshielded, twisted cables (one black wire; one white wire). One of the IONET cables runs up to <S>; the other down to the TCDA in Loc. 2 of <QD2>. While I doubt the cables are bad, it's a possibility.

The ONLY other thing I can think of is that for some reason the 125 VDC power supply to the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P> is bad. There should be fuses next to the J7Y switch/connector on the printed circuit card in <PD> that supply the power to the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P>. I have asked previously if the LED bargraph on the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P> are lit and flashing, or just lit and not flashing, and if they are flashing if they are flashing at the same time as the LED bargraphs on the TCEA cards (<X> & <Z>) in Loc's. 1 and -5. That would likely be an indication of improper power supply to the TCEA (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P>, or of no power to the card. But you haven't responded to that query.

But, based on the information provided, I can't offer anything else at this time. If you can:

1) Tells us if you checked the fuses that supply 125 VDC to the TCEA (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P> to be sure they are good

2) Tell us what the LED bargraph segment is doing on the TCEA card (<Y>) in Loc. 3 of <P>, and in particular, how those bargraph segments are flashing in relation to the LED bargraph segments on the TCEA cards (<X> & <Z>) [NOTE: When all the TCEA cards in <P> are at I/O State A7, ALL the LED bargraph segments on all the TCEA cards will be flashing the same segments at the same rate, in unison--and that's what you will see when this problem gets properly resolved.]

3) Confirm TCEA card revision levels (of the TCEA card removed from Loc. 3 of <P>; the card installed in Loc. 3 of <P>)

4) Confirm the socketed PROM chips removed from the TCEA card removed from Loc. 3 of <P> are in the proper orientation and the proper sockets on the TCEA card inserted in Loc. 3 of <P>

5) Confirm the IONET cables are plugged into the proper receptacles on the TCEA card (<Y>) installed in Loc. 3 of <P> (there should be some kind of label on each end of the IONET cable ends that indicates where the cables should be connected; you could compare the labels from the TCEA card (<X>) in Loc. 1 of <P> if there are any questions or concerns)

6) Tell us any other troubleshooting you have done--AND what the results were

Help us to help you. Please.

DCA,

Apologize for the slow response about this issue and thank you for telling me about the difference between DENET and IONET. I think all off ribbon cable is DENET. I'm sorry because I have given the wrong information.
In core <P> have 6 cards:
Loc 1. TCEA <X> for core<R>, with IONET from JX1 socket to TCQC in core <R>
Loc 2. TCEB for common circuits for the eos board
Loc 3. TCEA <Y> for core<S>, with IONET from JX1 socket to TCQC in core <S>
Loc 4. TCTG for GT TMR and simplex trip board.
loc 5. TCEA <Z> for core<T>, with IONET from JX1 socket to TCQC in core <T>
Loc 6. PTBA

when I was troubleshooting, for the first we changed TCEA <Y> with a new card(because its not detected on IO states) , but the issue still show. So, we try to use TCEA <X> (normal stage), but the issue still show. So we conclude that the card is not having problems.
and then we have checked IONET (2 cable) from TCQC to TCEA to TCDA <QD1> loc 2 (because when we reboot core <S>, the TCEA <Y> didn't responded *we looked it from led indicator, and it still some with led before we reboot core <S>* but TCDA <QD1> is on) but the IONET is normal (we just continity and check terminal pin).

and then we checked ribbon cable from TCQA to TCTG (in case of wiring, there is connecing from TCQA core <R>,<S>,<T> to TCTG core <P> using ribbon cable ->> i think this ribbon cable is DENET, i'm sorry if its wrong). because only this communication that we checked. we tried to replace the ribbon cable from core <R> to TCTG, and the issue is same with core <S> issue.

for your question:
1. fuse is normal, power supply is normal with (+) 68 VDC and (-) 62 VDC

2. LED bargraph segments on all the TCEA cards flashing the same segments at the same rate when core<S> A7.

3. we replaced TCEA card in Loc. 3 of <P> with new card (but it did not solved the issue)

4. the socketed PROM chips removed from the TCEA card removed from Loc. 3 of <P> are in the proper orientation and the proper sockets on the TCEA card inserted in Loc. 3 of <P>. we capture it before replace it.

5. the IONET cables are plugged into the proper receptacles on the TCEA card (<Y>) installed in Loc. 3 of <P> (yeah, there should be some kind of label on each end of the IONET cable).

thankyou for helping us and support us to solving this issue. i m sorry for my bad english. english is not my daily language

Abdul majid bakti,

We are very happy to hear the problem has been resolved, and we are very grateful for the feedback.

Early Mark V turbine control panels did not have as many cables labeled as later panels do; that could be part of the problem with the IONET cables in the <P> core.

Anyway, again, we are happy we could help. Thank you for answering the questions. I will be better in the future with questions--enumerating them clearly. I hope that will help with getting information and providing assistance.

Abdul majid bakti,

We are very happy to hear the problem has been resolved, and we are very grateful for the feedback.

Early Mark V turbine control panels did not have as many cables labeled as later panels do; that could be part of the problem with the IONET cables in the <P> core.

Anyway, again, we are happy we could help. Thank you for answering the questions. I will be better in the future with questions--enumerating them clearly. I hope that will help with getting information and providing assistance.
Abdul majid bakti,

We are glad and happy to see that this issue has been solved!

Indeed we much appreciated your feedback and updates on this thread!

See you soon

James