MArk VI control System VME Rack Power Supply

R

Raza HAider

VME Rack Power Supply for MArk VI control system gives +5V, +12V, +28V, +15. Can anyone tell the purpose and usage of all these voltage levels?

Most of the VME cards and many of the I/O terminal boards requires 28 VDC for operation. Microprocessors (of which there are many), RAM, and other components (operational amplifiers; analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters; etc.) require +5 VDC and +12 VDC and +15 VDC for proper operation.

Very similar to the power supply in the computer you typed this posting on; it converts a mains voltage to various DC voltage levels for use by the motherboard, microprocessor and drives and LEDs and such to function properly. Most electronic devices today (and the Mark VI is no different from many electronic devices at the component level) function on low-voltage DC power.

Raza,

I would suggest you refer to GE document #6421 under the section for the VME power supply. The manual does a reasonable but not fantastic job of explaining where each power supply voltage is distributed. It does not exactly tell the purpose of each voltage. All voltage levels are available to all cards in the rack, but some cards use them and some don't. It does document the placement of the multiple P28v supplies since there are several. I hope this information helps you.

J
I am the Product Line Leader at GE Measurement and Controls. GE has launched a new Controls Connect portal that has significant functionality to help answer your questions. In Controls Connect you can search the knowledge database for similar issues plus find manuals, GEHs, GEKs, TILs, white papers, etc or phone/email the technical support team directly. GE provides a level of complimentary phone and email support for controls customers. This is a FREE service. I hope it helps. I confirmed that both sections of the Mark VI manual (GEH-6421) are returned if you do a search. If you complete a search on Power Supply, it will identify the sections and text to make locating the information easier.

CONTROLS CONNECT NOTE: If you have a GE SSO# and are a GE turbine operator, business associate or EPC firm, please send me an email with the subject "Controls Connect Access" and include your SSO#, Name and Company. Note that we do not accept generic email addresses (e.g. @yahoo, @hotmail, @gmail, etc). Company based email addresses are required for security reasons. Your registration will take approximately 3-5 days.

If you do not have a GE SSO# you can register at http://www2.gepower.com/ssoreg/faces/html-jsp/welcomelegal.jsp?Service=REG or just perform a Google search on "Controls Connect". Just click on the register button to start the process. When you reach the application list select Controls Connect which is one of the last options on the list. Registration should require less than 5 minutes to complete. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Just to clarify an abbreviation: SSO. Means 'Single Sign-On'. It's like a user name one uses to log in to a computer, and the reason they call it a 'single sign-on' is that GE has almost gotten their bureaucracy to the point that a single user name (it's a number, actually!) can be used to log in to <b>almost</b> any internal site and server (with the proper permissions, of course, and a password).

They can give SSO's to non-GE employees, allowing them the ability to log into selected sites (like GE Controls Connect).

So, people, don't be afraid to get an SSO!

And write back to let us know your impressions of the site!