Mark Vie PDIA Pack Problems

M

Mattw87

I am having trouble with a Mark Vie PDIA (discrete input) module that I can't figure out. Every so often the module will lose communications with the control system, and I will get alarms in that are on that module. Sometimes it will clear on its own, and a diagnostic alarm 285 will pop up. Other times the alarms won't clear and the communications will continue to be lost, and I go out to the module and have to pull the power on it to reset it. At the module there is no indication of a problem. Both ethernet lights are transmitting and receiving and no diagnostic alarms. I've tried replacing all sorts of parts, but can't get anywhere. If anybody has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mattw78,

By "...get[ting] alarms in that are on that module." do you mean Process Alarms related to the inputs to the module? Or Diagnostic Alarms related to the inputs to the module?

I don't have access to a Mark VIe System Guide at this writing; what is Diag. Alarm 285? And what have you done in trying to troubleshoot/resolve this Diag. Alarm?

What parts exactly have you replaced?

What is the configuration of the control system the pack is part of--DUAL Redudant, SIMPLEX or TMR? (I'm presuming the control system is a DUAL Redundant system, since you mentioned two IONET cables and flashing lights on both the RJ45 receptacles of the pack.)

Have you tried swapping packs with another terminal board and seeing if the problem follows the pack or stays with the terminal board/IONET cabling?

Have you replaced the IONET Ethernet cables between the IONET switches and the pack? Perhaps one at a time?

Is this pack located in the "main" control panel, or is it located in a remote location (perhaps with other packs/terminal boards)?

Have you tried (one at a time) moving the IONET cable location in the IONET switches?

Are these IONET switches the newest and latest and greatest? There have been at least a couple of TILs issued about IONET switches.jj

The radius of the bend of the IONET cables is specified, also, not to be too extreme.

hi,

try to check GEH-6721 III.

you will find the ALM list and solution.

any how i did not find 285 under pdia card.

>By "...get[ting] alarms in that are on that module." do you
>mean Process Alarms related to the inputs to the module? Or
>Diagnostic Alarms related to the inputs to the module?

Yes, I do mean the process alarms, sorry for not being more specific, this is my first time posting and asking questions.

>I don't have access to a Mark VIe System Guide at this
>writing; what is Diag. Alarm 285? And what have you done in
>trying to troubleshoot/resolve this Diag. Alarm?

The diag alarm comes in after the process alarms clear. The diag alarm says something like "H/W watchdog fault occurred". I am assuming H/W stands for hardware? I am still trying to learn Mark Vie equipment so I am not all that familiar with it.

>What parts exactly have you replaced?

Replaced ethernet switches, ethernet cables, the PDI module, and the control board that it plugs into. The problem seems to come and go still. I've even tried swapping the power to it, and the problems stays with the pack.

>What is the configuration of the control system the pack is
>part of--DUAL Redudant, SIMPLEX or TMR? (I'm presuming the
>control system is a DUAL Redundant system, since you
>mentioned two IONET cables and flashing lights on both the
>RJ45 receptacles of the pack.)
>
>Have you tried swapping packs with another terminal board
>and seeing if the problem follows the pack or stays with the
>terminal board/IONET cabling?

Yes, swapped packs and it stays with the terminal board.

>Have you replaced the IONET Ethernet cables between the
>IONET switches and the pack? Perhaps one at a time?

Yes replaced both cables, alarm still comes in and out.

>Is this pack located in the "main" control panel, or is it
>located in a remote location (perhaps with other
>packs/terminal boards)?

It is located in a remote location. It goes from the module to an ethernet switch over to another ethernet switch which has fiber on it, which runs back to the "main"control panel.

>Have you tried (one at a time) moving the IONET cable
>location in the IONET switches?

Yes, I have tried putting them on different ports that I know were working because they had other modules plugged into them that weren't giving me any problems.

>Are these IONET switches the newest and latest and greatest?
>There have been at least a couple of TILs issued about IONET
>switches.

I know there's been problems with the ethernet switches before, but since I moved the cables around on different ports and the alarm persists, I don't see how it could be the ethernet switch.

>The radius of the bend of the IONET cables is specified,
>also, not to be too extreme.

I will check on this. The issue with that is this control system has been in place for 7 years without any issues. Would a bend in the cable take that long to appear as a problem?

Thanks for your help. I will try to do some more troubleshooting and see what I can find. I am at a loss here. It will lose communications and then reestablish by itself sometimes. When you go out to the module, there's no indication of any problems, all the lights are lit up that are supposed to be.

Matt,

Did you check the system guide for a solution? I remember having a problem with one of the packs and we approached this company called worldofcontrols.com for a solution when we realized our packs were faulty. They repaired the pack as well as supplied a new one as spare.

You may want to write to them about your issue.

Also, CSA will help you with technical recommendations.

Jeff