Mitsi GX Developer to GX Developer IEC

J

John

I've spoken to Mitsi UK and they say there is no software to convert applications written in Mitsi GX Developer to Mitsi GX Devedloper IEC.

Does anyone have any information on whether this can be done and if so how?

C

Colin Carpenter

I'm not aware of any. The IEC language (formerly called Medoc Plus) is a very graphical form which then converts to instruction code when compiling.

You can upload the programme from the PLC as "instruction only" mode into IEC, giving just the raw code, but it's not a patch on a properly structured graphical programme, using POUs etc.

IEC is very different to all other Mitsubishi programming methods ..... good, but different

I don't know GX Developer, only GX IEC. In GX IEC, you have an "export" command in the context menu of each progam which exports the program into an ASCII File.

We have used this feature to create templates for routine Function Block calls, where in the Developer, we used dummy Variable names, exported to ASCII, and replaced the dummy names with the actual datapoint name, changed the program name and imported the program into GX IEC.

The structure of the ASCII files is quite simple, where you have (always spoken for IEC) three main blocks: 1st, the external variables, 2nd the local vars (both header data), and 3rd the program itself.

If there is the same ex/import feature in GX Dev, it should be possible to figure out the syntax of the exported ASCII files and then change it to suit to GX IEC. (With a VB tool, for example). I think you need to convert one program manually to GX IEC, in order to see the differences between the two export formats.

Andreas Hobein
[email protected]

The easiest way (maybe the only way) is to compile the project in GX developer and load it on the PLC and then download it from PLC into GX IEC developer. The bad thing about it is that by downloading from PLC into GX IEC developer you will only get instruction list code.
The problem is that GX and GX IEC have different levels of abstraction (GX IEC is higher), so the problem is analog to the one if you had for example assembler code and you would like to transform it to C++.

regards

Gregor