Modbus RTU / Mb TCPIP soft gateway

R

Richard Savornin

On my PC, I am using a configuration tool dealing with a device over serial modbus protocol.

Because I want to go over Internet, I need to convert my communication using ModBus IP protocol. I bought a Modbus IP/Modbus Serial gateway that I put close to my device. This gateway works with a specific driver intalled on my PC who emulate a comm port and convert my serial modbus to modbus IP.

I can go from my tool (serial) to this driver, then on IP to my box that converts back to serial

BUT.... This driver is not supported by Win 98. Is there any other driver that can do this (and run on win 98)?

A

Andrzej Sokulski

Hi Richard
The best way is write that gateway. Try www.modbus.org for samples of serial modbus and TCP modbus. Try connect this two samples and you get what you want. On the other hand why you using win98?
Best Regards
Andrzej Sokulski
[email protected]

L

Lynn at Alist

Most of these "virtual comm" or "emulate comm" drivers are proprietary & only work with 1 vendor's field device. So if the vendor doesn't have a Win98 driver you may be stuck. You could try looking at TalTech's driver
( http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/products/tcpwedge.html ) I have heard it works fairly well by pure TCP with most vendors ENet/232 hardware - as
long as the hardware supports pure TCP to serial (most have this option - except a few of the VERY low-cost units cannot because the use non-standard
TCP stacks to support smaller CPU/memory ).

My firm (www.Digi.com) has a driver that works under WIN98, but you'll need to buy our hardware for it to talk to.

Regards
- Lynn

It seems to me you're using one of those "tunnelling" devices. Those devices do not actually convert ModbusRTU to ModbusTCP. They simply encapsulate ModbusRTU messages into IP messages so that they can travel on the Ethernet LAN. When an encapsulated request message arrives at the "converter" device, it extracts the ModbusRTU message and sends it out its serial port. It does the reverse when the response is received at its serial port.

The device driver on the PC is usually specific to the particular device you are using. So you need to talk to the supplier.