PLC USING USB-RS232 CONVERTER

A

A HERRERA

Does anyone know if it is possible to get connected thru a USB port with a converter to use a 1747-PIC. I have tried communicating but the device appears not to work with the converter.
I am using a IOGEAR USB-Serial converter Model UC232A.
I hope somebody can help me.

No, it is not possible to use a USB/RS232 converter to run Data Highway-485 protocol through any kind of interface, including the 1747-PIC.

The conversion from USB to RS232 does not allow direct hardware access to handshaking lines and therefore cannot support DH485 protocol.

A-B sells an expensive 1784-PCMK card that allows connectivity to DH-485 from a PC that has no real serial port, and I hear they'll be introducing a USB/DH485 interface next year.

This subject has been covered many times now, and unfortunately it is not possible to get the PIC and a USB/RS232 combination to work. Nor is it possible to get a USB/RS232 adaptor to "talk" DH485 protocol directly with the RS232 port on a 5/03 etc if it is set to DH485. DF1 protocol however will work fine with most USB/RS232.

I have seen on other forum postings that it does not work. I have tried using a Keyspan USA19W and it does not work with the 1747 PIC but does work using the serial port DF1 and a null modem cable.
Pins 7 and 8 may need to be jumpered together on the cable depending on the computer.
I hope this helps.
Sid

Sorry my friend

It is not possible to use the 1747-PIC unit in combination with the USB/RS232 converter. But you can use the USB/RS232 to connect to the RS232 ports when the port is configured for DF-1 communication (default). If you need to connect to a DH485 network you shoud purchase the 1784-PCMK (PCMCIA) and 1784-PCM4 cable.

Good luck

Per

T
AB recommends using a Keyspan USA19W or a Belden USB/RS232 converter. They have a tech note on their web site about them. One of Rockwell's guys told me that the problem with the PIC is that the PIC module got its power off the serial port, power not provided by the USB/RS232 converter. If you are ambitious enough to figure out an adaptor that can provide an external power to the PIC, there is probably no reason they can't be made to work together. If you do, let us know how you did it.

J

Jorge Sanchez

It is possible, you just need an “externally powered” USB/RS-232 converter. I used the Belkin FU5116. You can also power the PIC with an independent power supply, although for this you are going to need to build a special serial cable.