Read/ write operations with weighing scales via ethernet

Hi,
I'm trying to develop an interface with VB.net (2010) application to read and write data(itemcode, itemname, unit, price etc) from weighing scales via ethernet. Is there any standard way to communicate or map the data with these scales(any model/brand).
I am able to ping the scale with a reply.
If anyone out there can help, I would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks

There is not a standardized protocol that all brand/models would use. Typically, each vendor implements their own, proprietary communication protocol (usually simple ASCII-based messages) that they document in their user's manual for the weigh scale.

That being said, some scales may implement standardized protocols, such as Modbus/TCP, instead of, or in addition to, supporting a proprietary protocol. But even if Modbus is used, the register mapping (i.e. which registers contain which data) will be unique to each vendor, and likely vary even between models from the same vendor. So it would not be possible to write a single application that could interface with any Modbus weigh scale without providing the means for a user to configure which registers to access.

There is not a standardized protocol that all brand/models would use. Typically, each vendor implements their own, proprietary communication protocol (usually simple ASCII-based messages) that they document in their user's manual for the weigh scale.

That being said, some scales may implement standardized protocols, such as Modbus/TCP, instead of, or in addition to, supporting a proprietary protocol. But even if Modbus is used, the register mapping (i.e. which registers contain which data) will be unique to each vendor, and likely vary even between models from the same vendor. So it would not be possible to write a single application that could interface with any Modbus weigh scale without providing the means for a user to configure which registers to access.
Thank you for your kind response; I am still exploring the possibilities. I will update if I can find anything.