README or ?

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi all

I just got a polite note from a user who has tried to build the project and failed. He doesn't have Linux development experience, apparently, but has a software title. I have looked a bit and it is not that clear what to do once you open the tarball. If someone has a chance before I can get to it, can we do a little explanation of what's there and steps to get a working demo? I am hoping to have some economy related time off after the new year. Something like a HOWTO?. If it exists it didn't jump out at me either. I know it's a developer release, but we could use something to
point to.
Good stuff happenning lately with the distribution and the ladder stuff. I hope I can get synced up soon. I could use the change.

Regards

cww

--
Free Tools!
Machine Automation Tools (LinuxPLC) Free, Truly Open & Publicly Owned Industrial Automation Software For Linux. mat.sourceforge.net.
Day Job: Heartland Engineering, Automation & ATE for Automotive Rebuilders.
Consultancy: Wide Open Technologies: Moving Business & Automation to Linux. _______________________________________________
LinuxPLC mailing list
[email protected] http://lists.linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc

M

Mario de Sousa

> I just got a polite note from a user who has tried to build the
> project and failed. He doesn't have Linux development experience,
> apparently, but has a software title. I have looked a bit and it is
> not that clear what to do once you open the tarball.

I have just downloaded the tarball to check, and all that is required is to do a
$make all
at the top level directory. The usuall $make;./demo in the demo directories is still required, though.

I have to agree though, there doesn't seem to be any clear instruction on what to do on the web site.

Jiri, could you possibly:
- remove the use of the linuxkbd module by the demos, even though it gets compiled. It is not working properly for some reason that I don't have time to look into at the moment (maybe you do?). This is urgent! We don't want the demos to run badly!! I could do it to the cvs, but the weekly-tarball will not be updated (we are using an old version, until the autoconf gets debuged!).
- add a coment on the web site, right next to the tarball download link, sugesting that users have a look through the manual first, especially the new "How to compile" section.
- add, right after the "System Requirements" section, a "How to
compile" section to the manual ;-) !! This could be a two liner (make
all at top level, $make;./demo in each demo directory, and a link back to the "System reauirements" section. Please add a warning that the top level make all will try to make one or two modules that are not yet finished, and will therefore give out compiling errors!

Thanks Jiri,

Mario.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario J. R. de Sousa
[email protected]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------