Replaced VSVO card on Simplex MK6 generates alarm message after config download

A site presented a problem were the unit would tripped a few seconds after the start command issued. The panel is Simplex MK6. They noted alarms for servo fault on GCV,SRV and had a diagnostic alarm for the SLOT5 VSVO card. The operator was asked to check the type number of diagnostic alarms on VSVO and it was found to be faults 57,58 and 59 related to servo open circuit or board issue. All the checks were made for loose fitting cards and cables to TSVO terminal board and main rack and found OK and therefore it was advised to replace VSVO card.

The rack was powered down and a new card inserted and the rack powered up once more. The operator then went online in the toolbox and got privledge level 2. He then downloaded the configuration only from SLOT5. At the end of this process a pop up alarm message was highlighted.

1593068115873.png

The operator did not therefore reboot the panel and asked for advice on this alarm.

I have asked them to double check the old and new cards are exactly the same type and there are no berg jumpers/switches that may have to be set the same also and to try repeating the configuration download.

Can I enquire if possibly a "Firmware" download is required for a brand new card and if anyone has had this alarm before and found another explaination.

topcat123,

What was the message in the Log Window at the bottom of the Toolbox window?

What do the card replacement instructions for the VSVO in GEH-6421 (usually in Vol. II) say to do?

Why do you believe it would not be necessary to download firmware to a new I/O card? Do you believe a new I/O card would automatically be supplied with firmware that matched the Toolbox version of firmware in use at any site in the world?

Do you believe that an I/O card doesn't need firmware to know what to do with I/O Configuration Constants?

Do you also believe in Santa Claus ?

topcat123,

What was the message in the Log Window at the bottom of the Toolbox window?

What do the card replacement instructions for the VSVO in GEH-6421 (usually in Vol. II) say to do?

Why do you believe it would not be necessary to download firmware to a new I/O card? Do you believe a new I/O card would automatically be supplied with firmware that matched the Toolbox version of firmware in use at any site in the world?

Do you believe that an I/O card doesn't need firmware to know what to do with I/O Configuration Constants?

Do you also believe in Santa Claus ?
Cripes CSA

You having a bad day. Been a while since I worked on MK6. But thanks for that confirmation.

ps I do believe in Santa :)

topcat123,

As a matter of fact, I wasn't (having a bad day).

So, because you haven't worked on Mark VI (not 6) for a while, that means the instructions in the manual are no longer valid? Or, because you were looking for the Mark 6 manual, you couldn't find it?

Do you know why Santa puts his finger on the side of his nose when he wants to go back up the chimney after leaving gifts?

Because if he put his finger in his nose he would get snot and boogers on it. (That's in the Santa Claus manual: Right index finger on the right side of the nose.)

(I'm not Rudolph, either. Today, though, I am the Grinch.)

:poop:

Hey CSA

Maybe it was me having the bad day. I did have a look at GEH-6421 Vol ii and under the VSVO card section there is info on removing the card from the rack but I couldn,t find anything specifically on the software install. Must be in another manual maybe. When you highlighted a new card would of course have no firmware installed I realised what a niny muggins question it was. I think I just didn,t want to be hasty. On another site a few years ago I got the story of an issue that could present itself with a firmware download. On this site there where 6 MKVI units and four of these units had been installed originally with two new units added later in a different project. No one quite knew how it happened but after a problem ,a new VSVO card had been installed, but a different incompatible firmware was downloaded. After that no new downloads were allowed until they had eventually worked out what had happened and downloaded the original firmware from the earlier project. So I think I don,t mind asking a daft question if it just puts the brakes on making a worse call. Thanks for your support as always.

regards
Topcat

To update this issue. The VSVO card was replaced with a firmware download and after reboot all diagnostic alarms were cleared and unit restarted successfully. For additional information it was noted that the Simplex units have a servo clamp on the TREG board via a relay K4CL that goes directly to the TSVO board and we also checked the card connections for this circuit as this could have affected the same problem. Although it was not the eventual cause of the problem be aware of that difference from TMR panels.

topcat123,

Many thanks for the update/feedback!!!

Yes, there is a different scheme employed for SIMPLEX units than for TMR units when it comes to preventing servo output current. I don't have access to a Mark VI System Guide at this time, but I thought that was only for a portion (not all) of the servo-valve outputs--but I really can't recall; I would need to see the manual to be certain. But; there are differences between SIMPLEX and TMR units.

Stay safe--and healthy!!!