SIEMENS OLM Old and new

• Thread starter David Alvarez Quiroga
  • Start date
D

David Alvarez Quiroga

I need to introduce a new OLM PROFIBUS repeater in an existent network of SIEMENS OLM/S3 and OLM/S4. I have been reading manuals and the information I have got is quite unclear.

It seems old (OLM/S3-S4) and new (OLM/G11) repeaters are compatible but if ypo read further PROFIBUS segmentation is not available if you are mixing PROFIBUS repeaters of different versions. Segmentation is important in my network as it is a line topology where a problem can be extended to the whole installation.

What I understand by segmentation is that if a problem is detected by an OLM it will isolate the PROFIBUS line with problems until the problem is solved, not affecting the rest of the network.

I would like to know if there is someone in the list who has proved to mix old and new SIEMENS repeaters and what have been their experiences.

What I am thinking is connecting the repeater to existant network by means of electrical port so PROFIBUS segmentation is available for the new subnetwork and therefore not affecting the old network.

I think the only possible solution is the last one. Any other idea?

Best regards.