Signal Naming in MKVI Logic

M

Mike Hines

Several months back I was reviewing site MKVI logic for our Frame 7EA gas turbines. I was in the ctrlMdStat task area and noticed that the VTCC status beng block was referencing VTCC cards that did not exist in our MKVI rack, the block should have been referencing cards in slot 21 rather than slot 20. I verified with GE that this was an error, then made the changes to correct the problem. These signals begin with a # sign, not the usual G1\. I am curious what the # sign is about, the GE TAs have not been able tell me the significance of the # sign preceding a signal and I am hoping someone in this forum can help me out.

mthines at tid. org

The # is used to get the health bit of any signal connected to an I/O point. Clear as mud, right? :)

What exactly the health bit means depends on the I/O type. Search for "Special Signal Properties" in the help (or look in Chapter 11 of the document under "Controller Signals").

I believe when a # precedes a signal name it refers to the "health" of the signal coming from the VME card, or in some cases it is used to indicate the presence of one or more Diagnostic Alarms on the card being referred to.

Are there no "longname" signal descriptors for the signal names you are curious about? If there is, what is the description displayed in the lower left corner of the window when you click on the signal name you are curious about?

M
Thanks to demigrog and CSA for answering this post. Demigrog, you refer to chapter 11, which GEK document are you refering to? CSA, I will check and see if there is a "longname" referenced when I can get back into toolbox, as I recall there was not one, but not 100% sure.

I was referring to the help file that comes up when you select Help->Contents with a Mark VI open in Toolbox, but it is just GEH-6403 compiled into a help file.