Solution for Hole Made on an EX "d" JB

I

instrument_irshad

I have made a mistake by making a hole on an EX "d" certified JB for nameplate changing. The nameplate's hole was measured wrong, leading to making a hole on the JB. Kindly provide a solution...

W
Since you are screwing holes in the EX “d” JB for your nameplate, I hope that you are aware that you may be violating the JB’s ED “d” approval (unless the JB is approved for drilling holes in it by the user). I assume you checked with the JB box manufacturer before you started drilling holes in the box. They should have been able to tell you what to do in this case.

That being said, if the box is approved for drilling holes in it, what I have seen people typically do is put a steel (stainless if outside) screw in it and make sure that you have at least 5 threads engaged and be as long as the hole is deep. Any nameplate screws should be at least ½” away from any other screw hole and the nameplate screws must have the 5 screw threads engaged too just like the extra hole you drilled.

William (Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE
ISA Fellow
Winner of the 2017 ISA Raymond D. Molloy Award

Sr. Functional Safety Consultant
SIS SILverstone, LLC

http://sissilverstone.com

T

TheBurnerMan

The one and only solution is the one you apparently don't want to hear as you are posting here on a forum.

You have to order a new JB as the certificate has became invalid. Therefore juridically the installation is compromised in case of a major incident.

I

instrument_irshad

Thanks, @dwpatterson for your opinion. But actually the hole is not on the side or bottom of the JB, so i cant drill a hole on the front face of JB M20 size and plug it with a gland plug...

>Thanks, @dwpatterson for your opinion. But actually the
>hole is not on the side or bottom of the JB, so i cant drill
>a hole on the front face of JB M20 size and plug it with a
>gland plug...

I was not suggesting that you drill and tap to M20, but just that you could use the same technique and drill and tap to M6, M8, M10 or whatever drill size and tap matches the hole you need to plug.

good luck

Remember, in engineering opinions lead to high risk designs, most advice here comes from experience and engineering standards. In your case the approval ratings of the JB are violated, that is it is not tested or re-certified, at a minimum you need to contact the supplier.

The last thing you want is a JB that causes and explosion or fire, and you were the man that "fixed it".