Sulphur flow measurement

M

Mehdi Mirzaei

Looking for a perfect flow meter for molten sulfur (including iron impurities) in a line with steam jacket.
We tried a magnetic flow meter but it did not work.

W
There are two ways to do this measurement, neither of them perfect.

You can use a Coriolis Mass Flow meter or you can use a specially built transit time ultrasonic flow meter.

I believe Micro Motion, Endress+Hauser and Krohne have all done this measurement with Coriolis meters, and I know that GE/Panametrics has done this measurement for years.

Be sure that you provide accurate data, especially process temperature, pressure and flow rate, when you call your rep.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and ControlGlobal.com
555 W. Pierce Rd Suite 301
Itasca, IL 60143

[email protected]
www.controlglobal.com

A differential pressure measurement with capillary connected remote diaphragm seals across a primary flow element like a venturi, orifice plate or V-cone.

You Can use Wedge flowmeter for this. ABB has it for this specific application.

> Looking for a perfect flow meter for molten sulfur

Many years back, we applied a helical rotor meter to a molten sulfur application. The PD meter was chosen because sulfur has a very bizarre viscosity curve. (It thins out after melting, but goes progressively higher in viscosity with temp.) The PD meter was insensitive to these swings and gave a good volumetric measurement. Max Machinery only makes the 1.5 through 3" sizes now. What is your flow rate? Can you be more specific on the iron impurity? Is there grit or nuggets, or is the iron just chemically present?

www.maxmachinery.com

@Max

mined sulfur or sulfur from sulfur recovery units in refineries can be high purity and may be what you measured.

these days sulfur comes from power plants, smelters, etc. with all sorts of contaminants, grits, etc.

for protection of the meter, and protection against freeze ups, you want no moving parts or obstructed flow path in the sulfur. Steam jacketed wedges work great, for smaller flows steam heated corolis meters are fine for very small pipe sizes where you can afford and have the room for the piping layout.

> What is your flow rate? Can you be more specific on the iron
> impurity? Is there grit or nuggets, or is the iron just chemically present?

There is grit. flow rate is 19m3/h.

the ABB flow wedges come in a steam jacketed version and are insensitive to grits and freeze ups.

the Coriolis meters in small sizes 1" or so are also okay but require careful piping layout and ussually fine for clean sulfur.

>> What is your flow rate? Can you be more specific on the iron
>> impurity? Is there grit or nuggets, or is the iron just chemically present?

>There is grit. flow rate is 19m3/h.

> the ABB flow wedges come in a steam jacketed version and are insensitive to
> grits and freeze ups.

> the Coriolis meters in small sizes 1" or so are also okay but require careful
> piping layout and usually fine for clean sulfur.

Please tell me its model and some details.

specify and purchase what you are comfortable with, once you buy it its up to you to make any choice work.

this forum is not good at sales pitching and negotiation but technical Q/A

good luck

>What about KROHNE coriolis flow meter
>concerning pipe size (3inch) and iron
>impurities?

We are working in the start up of an acid plant in Chile and are using a khrone ultrasonic flowmeter (UFM 3030)

If you need more information contact me in [email protected].

Best Regards
Luis Contreras B
Automation Engineer
Outotec

Hello All!

I have a project for the installation of flowmeter in the liquid sulfur (pipe line with steam jacket). GE provide panaflow HT - Does anyone have experience with the installation UFM for sulfur? Or for liquid with high viscosity and temperature?

thanks

>Looking for a perfect flow meter for molten sulfur
>(including iron impurities) in a line with steam jacket.
>We tried a magnetic flow meter but it did not work.

GE Panaflow HT is the only way to measure molten sulfur that I believe in. They have been doing it for at least 30 years that I know of. It works well, requires low maintenance, and is highly accurate.

Walt

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist,
Member Assoc. of Professional Futurists
Spitzer and Boyes LLC

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Automation and Process Control INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**

There are two ways to do this measurement, neither of them perfect.

You can use a Coriolis Mass Flow meter or you can use a specially built transit time ultrasonic flow meter.

I believe Micro Motion, Endress+Hauser and Krohne have all done this measurement with Coriolis meters, and I know that GE/Panametrics has done this measurement for years.

Be sure that you provide accurate data, especially process temperature, pressure and flow rate, when you call your rep.

Walt Boyes
Editor in Chief
Control and ControlGlobal.com
555 W. Pierce Rd Suite 301
Itasca, IL 60143

[email protected]
www.controlglobal.com
Never use coriolis for multen sulphur as if it solidify within meter pipes during unit shutdowns or steam cuts, remelting the solid sulphur would be a big trouble.