TI 565 Communications via fiber optic link

A

Anonymous

Any recommendataions on a fiber optic cable and modems or other high speed communcications options to replace the Peer Link communications for the TI 565 processor and remote IO racks? The distance is about 3000 feet and the existing RG6 cable has been damaged due to ice.

Hi,

I think there must be some confusion here.

A TI565 processor connected to its remote IO racks using a dedicated Remote Channel Controller (in the CPU rack) and Remote Base Controller (in the remote rack). There were two flavours of RCC/RBC. One used coaxial cable like RG6, the other used RS485 twisted-pair. For 3000 feet, the RS485 would probably have been at its limit, hence the original choice of coax. Peerlink on the other hand was a small networking system designed to connect PLCs to PLCs, not PLCs to their own I/O racks.

I don't know of any alternative cabling for connecting RCCs and RBCs. I believe I did hear once many years ago of someone trying some fibre-optic modems but I think these had RS485 electrical interfaces. I've no idea of the manufacturer or whether they were successful or not. These obviously wouldn't work if your RCC/RBC pair have coaxial interfaces on them.