Using brushless DC motor

B

Binta

I am presently undertaking a project to generate small power from fluid flow through pipeline. I want to use brushless dc motor. how can I use the motor as a generator, since it operation requires an inverter when use as a motor. is the inverter changing to act as a rectifier? I need some clarification please.

I always find it difficult to visualise the operation control of voltage/frequency, is there any approach simple for me to understand the concept. please in need of your response soon

B

Bruce Durdle

If your brushless DC motor has permanent magnets and fixed coils, it will act as an AC generator when spinning - the frequency it produces will depend on the speed. The "brushless DC" electronics acts as an inverter to develop the AC voltage waveforms needed to drive the motor - instead of a mechanically-switching commutator, it uses electronic switches.

If you connect the output through rectifiers, you can develop DC suitable for battery charging etc - if you need a standard AC power level voltage, use a commercial inverter.

Bruce.

E
How exactly are you using the motor as a generator??

The reason I asked is because I did some testing involving two motors, one being the generator for the other motor.

Do you already have a motor and driver?? I always go to Anaheim Automation for simple applications such as yours. There might be some useful information on there as well. They have a bunch of guides that can be useful at times.

Hope that somehow helps you. I put a link below for you to check out.

http://www.dcbrushlessmotor.net

-E