Why is getting an Electrical Engineering degree so tough?

Hello I’m 17 and I’m going to study Elec Engr this upcoming fall and I wanted to ask what makes Electrical Engineering such a tough degree to get? Like what should I do or know in order to successfully earn my degree?

Hello I’m 17 and I’m going to study Elec Engr this upcoming fall and I wanted to ask what makes Electrical Engineering such a tough degree to get? Like what should I do or know in order to successfully earn my degree?
Hello

Welcome to the world of Engineering ..Automation...Industrial systems....

First you have to try to imagine your carrer path...I know that difficult to do since sometimes there can be gaps between theorical and practical view .

For example try to decide which area would you like to work...I do not know where you living and where you want to work..

By area I means is that in industrial systems/power generation/renwewables energy/datas centers...There are many path to follow...

About Electrical engineering thats another story..!
As i mentionned theorical is sometimes far from Practice...

Can you tell us in which University or organism are you intending to get diploma/graduated..

I can tell you that your question is quite difficult to answer since everyone got and will got his own experience /background in the world of industry..

To try to anwser to your question, i would say that kind of diploma is tough since you will need to have plenty of skills /competences to succeed ..

Example electrical systems are most of time associated to mechanical systems /"thermodynamic" systems, like Gas/Steam turbine in power plant..

A electrical engineer ( Technical advisor now) will have a scope of work to achieve in a plant commissioning.

So that TA will be in contact , will collaborate with plenty of other skilled engineer ...and must know how they work each other ( like each systems taht i mentionned earlier) ...

Thats tough task since you got to work on this system and after work on another syste/subsystem to get that plant commissionned

Its reall a job with lots of repsonsabilities...Plant do not work just by clicking on a switch and every things work ..

Reality of the field can be a long discussion here ...

Alsways glad to support you ! any time!

James

andrew61,

Obtaining a college degree is a sign of one's commitment and focus--regardless of the subject or field of study. That piece of paper says, "I set a long-term goal (of receiving a degree), and I did what was required in order to achieve that goal. And, along the way I did some things I liked as well as some things I didn't like--but I maintained my focus and my commitment."

Now that's not something everyone can do or say. Employers really value people with commitment and focus, especially in today's job market and business environment where lots of companies work in teams on projects where commitment and focus--being able to envision a goal and being able to work towards that goal--is very important.

That piece of paper (the degree) is really just a way of gaining access to employers who are looking to hire people with demonstrated skills and people who, in technical fields, have learned the language and terminology of the field as well as the basics involved.

I would be interested in why you think electrical engineering is such a hard degree to earn? Is it because of the maths involved? Are you not comfortable with maths? Is it because you know people or have heard of people who started out wanting to get an electrical engineering degree but changed their major or dropped out of university? A LOT of people change their major when they finally get an idea of what's involved in the field they had chosen to study and work in. It's not unusual at all. In my opinion and experience there are a LOT of people who never actually work in the field or profession they studied in university--many factors are involved in this, but it happens quite frequently. In my case, people I studied and graduated with are now engineers at hospitals or high-rise buildings, one is a history professor, some work in insurance (there are a surprising number of insurance jobs that require or benefit from having a technical degree) or real estate (all real estate is not residential!!!).

Getting a degree--ANY degree--is not supposed to be easy. (True; some are easier than others.) But, all still require work and concentration and focus--and commitment. That commitment and focus means sacrifice (in many instances)--forgoing things or activities to complete a research paper or project or studying for a mid-term or final exam.

But, earning a degree is very satisfying--because you will know that you put in the work and effort, demonstrated commitment and focus, and that you can do it again now that you've done it. Maybe not for another degree, but in your work/professional life--whatever that might be.

There are LOTS of industries and jobs that can be done by someone with an electrical engineering degree. Electricity is not rocket science (well--not mostly, and it can certainly seem like it some times (such as when studying grid stability and protection!)), and LOTS of people have completed this course of study.

Do you have what it takes? Will you change your major? (Does it matter if you change your major?) Will you drop out of school to take a job, or start up a wildly successful enterprise? Will you even ever work at a job that uses some of even a portion of what your learned studying electrical engineering? It's pretty certain you will work with other people at some point, on projects and in jobs where you have to study and focus--and with a degree you know that you have already done that. It won't always be the same, but that's what makes the world so great--we are not all alike, and every experience is not the same. Revel in the differences. Explore. Experience.

But don't psyche yourself out before you even start? Again--what makes you say that it's so difficult? Hundreds of thousands of people have received degrees in electrical engineering. There are tutors, and classmates and professors and all sorts of places to turn when the topics get difficult. Will you excel in every one? Not likely. But, that's life.

Do not be afraid.

If you -really- want to achieve something, you can with persistence & perseverance. Put the fun times for a few years on a hold and really go for it 100%.
During my times in the 90's: mathematics was the central key and knowledge from the beginning to the end. The most challenging parts were electromagnetic fields (lots of math), semiconductor physics and control theory (laplace/Z-domain transformations for stability calculations)
And of course: software engineering. This was extremely important from the beginning to the end. The tasks we had to do were increasingly challenging. But at the end: software is always logic, plain logic.
If you have a good heart for mathematics, physics and logic thinking, combined with persistence & perseverance, combined with the willingness of shutting down your social life for a few years: you'll get there.

As my old English teacher taught me when I was 14: how you make your bed, you sleep in it.
Getting a tough education will guarantee you a job for the rest of your life. And you pick the fruits of it later.

Electrical Engineering degree can be challenging because it involves complex concepts and problem-solving skills. To succeed, it's important to have a strong foundation in math and physics. Developing good study habits and time management skills will also help you stay on track. Seek help from professors, classmates, and online resources when needed.