Wireless Ethernet

A

Anonymous

Can a 802.llb Wireless Ethernet Access point be used as a repeater? For instance a network needs to span 5000 linear ft. can 10 access points be placed at 500 ft intervals to complete the network over that distance without wires?

W
Hello nameless one!

You really don't need to do anything this complicated at all. I build inexpensive (<$10) antennas out of 4" PVC that work over two kilometers with a standard WiFi card.. All you have to do is set the cards up in the PC in ad hoc mode, hook up the antennas, and make sure they are pointed at each other.

The worst thing you will have to contend with is the crummy but expensive connectors they use for the antenna connection on the WiFi cards. Best bet is to take the card apart, remove the connector, and solder on a short piece of coax with an N connector on the other end. Otherwise you will have problems in a few months and will have to wiggle the connectors.

As a matter of fact, this email's first hop is a 13 Km link using two standard 30 mW WiFi cards. It went from my computer to a Linux gateway with
an Orinoco card in it. I put one of my PVC waveguide antennas as the feed on an old DirecTV 1 meter offset dish on the roof, and it points to a friend's house with the same converted dish antenna. There it goes to another Linux gateway and a cable modem. I get 500 kbytes/second throughput even in heavy rain, with few missed packets. I have to do this to get any internet connection speed, as otherwise I am limited to 19.2K connection through the old wretched Costa Rican phone lines.

You can email me privately if you have questions, or on-list if others are interested. There are lots more details, but at least this starts the
conversation.

You could also use access points, but it really isn't necessary unless there's another good reason to do so.

Willy Smith
Numatics, Inc.
Costa Rica

V
Hello Willy, I am in Florida and visit Costa Rica once a year. How is the Internet Service there. I have RoadRunner (Cable Modem) and it's great, fast. What type of services do you get and what speeds?

Take care.

D

Daniel Jefferies

This could be done however with the right equipment and point to point radio line of sight you could cover 5000 liner feet with only two radios. One at each end.

Regards,

Daniel Jefferies
[email protected]

Dan,

Yes, but it is a feature of some radios. Not all access points will do this. It is sometimes called "store and forward". Check http://www.freewave.com and MDS for compatible radios. We have used both.

Tom Elf
Marketing Manager
Bristol Babcock
1100 Buckingham Street
Watertown, CT. 06795
(860) 945-2295
Telf(AT)Bristolbabcock.com