Today is...
Saturday, July 20, 2019
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A tutorial introduction to programming using the QuickBuilder Programming Environment.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Modbus Data/Communication Issue
Modbus communication gimbal locks and values usually are all zeros.
By D. Wubben on 3 July, 2019 - 2:05 pm

I have an 8864 logger communicating Modbus with 2 devices. I don't know Modbus at all. However, my file appears to read/write from one device and then go on to the next. This doesn't always happen to the same device, either. When I have the issue with data values being zeros, I can unplug the Ethernet connection for a minute and plug it back in. This usually allows communication to commence. Sometimes it lasts for a minute or two and other times it can be for hours or days (weekends). It only happens once every couple of months. I think I should add that it goes Ethernet to fiber optic to Ethernet and back Ethernet to fiber optic to Ethernet again.

Does the Modbus-read value actually go to zero?

Usually comm failure (over a serial link) results in stale (last valid point, never updated) data in the master that 'straight-lines' when charted or graphed.

Data values that are Zero is typically the result of initialization or re-initialization on power-up, particularly on the slave/server side.

I don't know enough details of TCP execution to pinpoint a fault that would rectify by cable removal and replacement.