Searching for NITP CAMP C source for communicating between TI 545 and Computer through TCP/IP

C

Christos Makariou

I was wondering if anyone can help me find out whether other Programmers or Engineers at control.com have ever felt the need to interface Console graphical controls like VISTA's DATABASE and screen control elements (buttons etc. to actual control variables in a PLC responsible for controlling a subsystem of a Plant. I have recently bought a CTI 2572 ethernet card that can be installed on a siemens PLC rack and provide TCP/IP communications capability to the PLC PROCESS CONTROL CPU. I was planning to write some C code that uses sockets and the NITP or CAMP protocol a protocol which the Siemens CPU (a TI545)understands and thus have access to the process variables of the PLC's logic from my muster control computer which runs the VISTA control program for the Thomson system diagnostic here at the General Atomics Fusion Facility(DIII-D). At DIII-D it is a common practice to have the PLC run the critical process logic and have the Control computer to control the overall flow of the process at a higher but relaxed level. Our control computer is currently interfaced with the PLC in a not so great way(hardwired). Since most of the I/O runs through CAMAC based modules there is a plethora of signals that only exist between the PLC and the CAMAC crates. It is desired to eliminate this hard connection with a simpler way using software and TCP/IP.
What I am after basically is to get some leads to some good C code and to start a dialog with the right people that may have solved a similar problem or perhaps Engineers and Physicists in other plants that use Vista or some other similar virtual control panel package and they are in the same situation, or have encountered the same situation, and are trying to solve or have solved this interface problem somehow. So far I have not developed any code but before going forward with this simingly intense software development effort I though I ask around first. Since many of you have probably more exposure in this domain and also perhaps work for a Process Control OEM or OE vendor perhaps you can give me some leads to the right information. I have some idea how to right something like the TISOFT communications and process control package but the control computer will have to be a workstation ruther than a dimple PC. I suspect if many of you use PLC in parts of plants you probably have a better chance in guiding me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to get to talk to you about this exciting project!

Christos Makariou
Electrical Engineering Group
Fusion Division
General Atomics

G

Gilles Allard

> I have recently bought a CTI 2572
>ethernet card that can be installed on a siemens PLC rack and provide
>TCP/IP communications capability to the PLC PROCESS CONTROL CPU. I was
>planning to write some C code that uses sockets and the NITP or CAMP
>protocol a protocol which the Siemens CPU (a TI545)
< large snip >

I've been there.
Christos, can you provide your Email address?

I was wondering if anyone can help me find out whether other Programmers or Engineers at control.com have ever felt the need to interface Console graphical controls like VISTA's DATABASE and screen control elements (buttons etc. to actual control variables in a PLC responsible for controlling a subsystem of a Plant. I have recently bought a CTI 2572 ethernet card that can be installed on a siemens PLC rack and provide TCP/IP communications capability to the PLC PROCESS CONTROL CPU. I was planning to write some C code that uses sockets and the NITP or CAMP protocol a protocol which the Siemens CPU (a TI545)understands and thus have access to the process variables of the PLC's logic from my muster control computer which runs the VISTA control program for the Thomson system diagnostic here at the General Atomics Fusion Facility(DIII-D). At DIII-D it is a common practice to have the PLC run the critical process logic and have the Control computer to control the overall flow of the process at a higher but relaxed level. Our control computer is currently interfaced with the PLC in a not so great way(hardwired). Since most of the I/O runs through CAMAC based modules there is a plethora of signals that only exist between the PLC and the CAMAC crates. It is desired to eliminate this hard connection with a simpler way using software and TCP/IP.
What I am after basically is to get some leads to some good C code and to start a dialog with the right people that may have solved a similar problem or perhaps Engineers and Physicists in other plants that use Vista or some other similar virtual control panel package and they are in the same situation, or have encountered the same situation, and are trying to solve or have solved this interface problem somehow. So far I have not developed any code but before going forward with this simingly intense software development effort I though I ask around first. Since many of you have probably more exposure in this domain and also perhaps work for a Process Control OEM or OE vendor perhaps you can give me some leads to the right information. I have some idea how to right something like the TISOFT communications and process control package but the control computer will have to be a workstation ruther than a dimple PC. I suspect if many of you use PLC in parts of plants you probably have a better chance in guiding me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to get to talk to you about this exciting project!

Christos Makariou
Electrical Engineering Group
Fusion Division
General Atomics
Hello Christos,

I want to ask you if you have experience with NITP/CAMP protocol through the serial port for the TI545. I’m currently in this research in order to implement a solution for these PLCs.

please let me know if you can help me.
Regards,

Gustavo Ortiz
Automation Engineer

> I have recently bought a CTI 2572
>ethernet card that can be installed on a siemens PLC rack and provide
>TCP/IP communications capability to the PLC PROCESS CONTROL CPU. I was
>planning to write some C code that uses sockets and the NITP or CAMP
>protocol a protocol which the Siemens CPU (a TI545)
< large snip >

I've been there.
Christos, can you provide your Email address?
Hello Gilles,

would you be able to help me with a NITP/CAMP protocol communication through the serial port for a TI545 PLC?

I would really appreciate any help you can provide.
Regards,

Gustavo Ortiz
Automation Engineer