480 V L-L and 60 Hz standard

N

ndhrew

Hii...
nice to join this group,
please introduce my name ndhrew, elect. and project engineer,

okay,here i'm..
i want to ask about that following standard. i'm in a project that the owner ask for 3 phase 480 V and 60 Hz low voltage electric system.
could someone inform me about this system standard i.e IEC or ANSI or IEEE??? I'm in indonesia that relatively seldom to use that system, our system use 380/220 V and 50 hz.

many thank you...

Welcome to the group...

480/277 vac is the nominal voltage, actual working voltage is often 460 vac.

>Hii...
>nice to join this group,

That is the standard voltage in the USA. It is not usually specified in your area. Do you have a USA customer?

thankyou for reply,

yes, i'm in epc and oil and gas, and also have costumer from USA,

thank you...

thank you,

i'm actually use 13.8 kV / 0.48 kV transformer to get this voltage. maybe do you mean 460 is working voltage after decreased by voltage drop?

best regards,
ndhrew

D

david mertens

I think your customer has a problem, and so do you unless it's a very small project or you will be generating your own power there is just no way you can get the frequency of the utility power from 50 to 60Hz. The only way to do it is converting to DC and then using an inverter at 60Hz to generate AC but as I already said that can only be done on a small scale or it would be prohibitively expensive. The best way to solve this issue is to sit down with the customer and have him change the requirements to what is feasible and cost effective. Good luck.

Kind regards,
David

S
He never said the project was to be installed at his location. I am in a 60Hz location and yet have successfully built many machines for installation in a 50Hz country.

Okay Mr. David,

thank you again to adding more knowledge and nice discussion. as you says, I'll generate 3 x 15 MW GTG, 60 Hz and 13.8 kV for MV. 480 V is one of low voltage level that the costumer needs. till now i've no problem about HV or MV equipment, but for LV level, and considerately how small this equipment likes lamps, floodlight, induction motor, AC and others building equipt., i also need to get this from overseas.

thanks a lot for discussion..

D

david mertens

In this case there is no real problem, you will just have to get your hardware vendor (ABB, Siemens, GE, ...) to quote for 60Hz equipment in stead of 50Hz. All the big companies will supply both without any problems and at comparable prices. In case of 60Hz your delivery times may be longer as there is probably no local stock. You can also consult them about the required type of motor, relais or protection for each instance and I'm sure they will be most willing to help you with the selection of equipment.

Kind regards,
David