Adding New I/Os to Mark VI

S

se_lain

Hi, guys!

I am trying to add a new analog output to Mark VI to relay IGV opening to DCS over 4-20 mA. I have gone through the documentation and I have been able to come up with a basic strategy. I have mainly referred to GEH-6403 and GEH-6421 in this regard. The required information is scattered across GE manuals and I haven't been able to find a procedure or anything of the sort, in one single location so naturally I am a little anxious and need your help.

I will be carrying out said modification while the turbine is down for maintenance.

<b>My Strategy:</b>

<b>1. Pre-Modification:</b>
- I will make an image of the entire HDD.
- I will backup the M6B file along with the contents of "site" separately.

<b>2. Execution:</b>
- We have a function called "Remote" which is being used to relay certain parameters to DCS over 4-20 mA. I will start by adding a pin called G1\CSGV_DCS under "Pins" as is the convention for similar parameters. I will configure it to be a Float and will use DGA as the scale.

- I will then add a MOVE_F block under the appropriate "Module" and assign G1\CSGV as the source and my new pin, G1\CSGV_DCS, as the destination.

- After I have mapped the IGV's opening to my new pin, I will assign this new pin to a spare analog output channel. I will do this under Mark VI I/O -> Rack 0 Channel R (SIMPLEX) -> Slot 14: VAIC.

- I will configure the analog output channel appropriately and will validate and build the entire application code by doing a Validate -> All.

- I will download only the card I have added the new signal to i.e. Rack 0 Channel R (SIMPLEX) -> Slot 14: VAIC.
- After doing so, I will download the application code. This should be enough.

However, I have also been looking up other threads on Control.com which mention having to perform a Put into Database every time a new signal is added. The procedure is mentioned below.

<i>"If you are making changes that introduce a new signal, event, alarm, or trip log signal then you should:

1. Validate all for the .m6b
2. Device->put into database full (Device menu "Put into database" Full)
3. Build
4. Download application code (Device menu "Download" Application Code)
5. Save the .m6b file
6. Open the .hmb file for the server you are at.
7. Validate
8. Put to database
9. Get from database
10. Build
11. Save the .hmb
12. Net stop tci
13. Open Cimplicity Workbench Project for Server you are working at
14. Perform configuration update of project
15. Net start tci or reboot the work station."</i>

Since I do not have to make any changes on the HMI level, would it be okay for me to skip the Put into Database i.e. step 8 onwards? Please go through my strategy and kindly let me know if anything else needs to be added/done.

Will really appreciate your help!

No need to update the SDB. If it isn't on EGD or an Alarm, the new variable doesn't change the SDB configuration at all. Everything else looks ok, though I'm a bit rusty on Toolbox Classic and Mark VI.

Sorry for the late response.

Demigrog is right. If you aren't putting any point on EGd, then no puts and gets are needed. Hence you do not need to make any changes to the HMI file/Cimplicity

In short, you are doing 4 things:
Creating a new variable
Modifying logic to move a signal to this new variable.
Adding that variable to an output signal on your I/O
Validate/build/download

It should all be pretty straight forward process.