Career Advice on Test Automation

MS or MTech

• MS

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • MTech

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been working in the test automation field for the last 5 years. I have only a B-Tech degree in computer science. I was planning to do M-Tech after two years of experience. But the employer offered me a great package and I have decided to stay put.
When I checked with my college mates, I have learned that MS can offer better exposure than M-Tech.

I wish to pursue my career further in test automation itself. Can anyone suggest a better choice to build my career?

I have been working in the test automation field for the last 5 years. I have only a B-Tech degree in computer science. I was planning to do M-Tech after two years of experience. But the employer offered me a great package and I have decided to stay put.
When I checked with my college mates, I have learned that MS can offer better exposure than M-Tech.

I wish to pursue my career further in test automation itself. Can anyone suggest a better choice to build my career?
Ms & Mtech are conjointly associated most of the time... That's just a subjective view for everyone... You have to know firstly what career path you want to follow.. And there will be no doubt about the choice of Ms or Mtech... Then you can have an objective view of these two differents things...

Cheers
James

User007,

An advanced degree will usually offer you more "exposure" because some employers are only (foolishly) looking for people with a certain level of degree as a minimum for the position(s) they are offering. Also, it's likely that in the course of obtaining your advanced degree you will meet people working in a field/fields that you will be interested in, and they may be able to make introductions for you.

If you're looking for greater exposure you should be joining groups of like-minded individuals, such as on social media, or near your home/place of employment. By meeting and associating with people in your chosen field, or field of interest, you will have more exposure.

But, just "putting your head down" and "plowing ahead" and getting an advanced degree isn't necessarily going to get you "more exposure" (by which it is presumed you mean a "better" job... with more pay). Why not ask your present employer if they can help you get an advanced degree if that would help you advance in the Company you presently work for? Tuition assistance (if that's necessary), or time off to attend classes, or a flexible work schedule to attend classes; allowing you to attend training for various certifications--things like this could make it possible to obtain an advanced degree or additional certifications which might help you advance in your present Company. Be aware, though, that many employers are VERY short-sighted and don't want to help employees to obtain advanced degrees, or even certifications. Many times the employees will use that advanced degree or additional certificates to get a job at another company, possibly even a competitor.

But, you need to decide what path you want to take. Or, even if you really want to take another path. If you're happy where you are, find out how to get ahead ("more exposure") in your present Company. I know LOTS of people with advanced degrees who are under-employed, for one reason or another (familial commitments; unwillingness to move or relocate; they truly like where they are currently working and what they are doing and don't want to change jobs or employers; etc.). Just obtaining an advanced degree is NO GUARANTEE of "more exposure" (a "better" job, with more pay).

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.... If you want to get to the other side of the fence, you are going to have to decide to do it and do what's necessary. Just getting and advanced degree is not a guarantee of "more exposure" (a better job).