Cimplicity and Versamax

D

Dhanuka

We are evaluating Cimplicity SCADA & Versamax PLC for a Process Control Application. The Analog Inputs are 150, In which Total 45 are Close Loops. The Discrete Inputs are arround 312 & Discrete Outputs are arround 192.

We are in discussions, evaluating the Cimplicity SCADA, where 75 Tags RT & 75 Tags DV Software have been offered.

We have been told that Cimplicity has array functionality in which one Software Tag Can access up to 128 Analog IOs from Versamax & arround 256 x 8 Discrete IOs as one Tag from Versamax PLC.

There are 3 Workstations,

1 Has any one used this type of functionality in Cimplicity.
2 Is this functionality possible? or we shall as them to offer us the Software with the Tags which would represent one is to one.
3 What are the Drawbacks, what functionality we may be loosing if we opt this functionality?

Thank you & Regards

It can be done, but it is not recommended.
When you get multiple registers from a PLC for use by this SCADA system it must be done in one of two ways.
1. Write a script that reads the registers and parses them into an array of internal variables for use by the SCADA software. This makes troubleshooting VERY difficult and slows the process.

2. Use indirect addressing on multiple screens. If this even works, I have not tried it.

I suggest that you get enough points for a 1:1 of your tags. It will make the development, documentation and troubleshooting so much easier and faster that you will probably end up saving money. Not to mention that if we want GE Fanuc to continue their present means of determining Tag counts, we need to support thier efforts.

Good Luck with this and I would question the integrity of the integrator who is suggesting this. What other "short-cuts" will they take on your project?

As a PLC/HMI programmer, I would highly recommend 1:1 tags. If your analogs have different scales, this could really create havoc on the HMI, not to mention it would disable any kind of historical trending you might like. Of course troubleshooting would also be very difficult on the PLC and HMI sides.

To save money I would recommend using Cimplicity ME. It is a really nice package and priced less. You can get away with buying 1 package, and using it as a web server. You get for FREE...unlimited view/control stations using Internet Explorer as a browser. Really cool stuff.

I Read Cimplicity Manual, on Array Functionality.
It Says that,
1 Alarms Can Not Be Generated on the Array Points.
Does it mean that The Process Variables which Can be accessed as Array Elements, can not be alarmed?
2 The Total Number Of Bytes an Array Can Contain on Genius datagram points (Which is the communication between the Versamax & Cimplicity)is 128 Bytes, & an Analog Point which is a Process Variable will be obviously configured as Real Point (Consumes 8 Bytes) & Not Integer Point (1 Byte)so as to have better resolution. In This case Total Analog Points that can be accessed from Versamax as Single Tag (array) = 128/8 = 16 & Not 128

I believe you are confusing how the network scans the I/O in blocks and how many tags the Cimplicity HMI package will support. These are 2 different subjects.

P

Prasanth Gopalakrishnan

We have used this functionality and it works fine.

--------------------------------------
Prasanth Gopalakrishnan
Managing Director
Kalki Communication Technologies Private Limited,
2nd Floor, #147, 5th Main Road, HSR Sector 7
Bangalore 560034, Karnataka, India
Phone(O): 91-80-572 1263/4
Phone(H): 91-80-572 0353
Fax: 91-80-5721264, 1 646 365 7718
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.kalkitech.com