Industrial Energy Saver

A

Arshad

Hi everybody,
I would be greatful if any one out there have any experience in using industrial energy saver for induction motors which Somar Inc manufactures.
Please do inform about the saving & performance.

Thank you

If your talking about "clean power technology and Power Factor correction", there are a few GOOD devices that can really give 2 - 35% energy savings, the key is the right devices, installed on the right equipment and the only effective way to do this right is thru a plant energy audit,
you can get reliable lifecycle cost and payback figures from a audit by knowledgable Energy tech's

Be carfull who you deal with!
to many times you hear horror storys because the engineer/consultant was more interested in selling you the equipment then your actual payback

if you would like more information please feel free to e-mail me

[email protected]

L

Lynn August Linse

Arshad wrote:
> I would be greatful if any one out there have any experience in using
> industrial energy saver for induction motors which Somar Inc
> manufactures. Please do inform about the saving & performance.

I haven't tried this model, but I have tried another commercial model - you WILL need to do some site testing. The savings depend on the actual motor, application usage pattern, etc. I doubt anyone can give you a blanket answer.

For example in my home I tested a commercial model for one of my appliances just for interest - shaved 15% of the consumption WHEN motor was running. Unfortunately it also added a parasitic load to the line, so it consumed a small current all the time. Bottom line after running it through a Power Meter/Monitor for 24-hours was it would have cost me about 3% MORE a month to use than not. Not much payback there!

This is just an example, not saying it applies to your situation.

Regards
- Lynn

Powerboss is best applied in motor with variable load condition. I have tried on several occasion, and savings vary from 8-27%.

G
I have experience with Somar Powerboss.

The saving depends on the load. Performance is very good. One of the installation ,that I know ,is about three years old. No problem so far.

The LMPhotonics' site, "Are They A Sham, Or Do They Work?" is quite informative!

I presented several studies to Florida's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) dealing with essentially two types of "devices": small modules are called EES-modules for Electrical Energer Savers; and larger ones allied PFC-units for Power-Factor Correction.

The modules vary in size from about that of a 100 VA to 1 kVA control transformer. It is for small industrial applications, say 1 - 15 Hp motors. The claim is that energy costs are reduced up to 50%!

In reality they are really Transient-Surge Suppressors. And in South Florida they are green in color denoting "Good for the Environment", thus targeting any one embarked on "Green Projects!"

The larger units are applied to large AC refrigerant compressors, say 200 - 350 Hp! Energy-cost payback is less than a year.

There are two major drawbacks to the larger units: i) they violate the NEC because they require a "neutral" (the groundEd conductor) connection which is not often available in the starter so they are connected to the enclosure's ground lug (the groundING conductor); and 2) the PF correction value far-exceeds that required to offset no-load kVAr, thus exposing the motor to extreme overvoltage!

My studies contain much more detail such as the on-site "Demonstration" that purports to prove PF correction reduces Energy-Cost. Also included is a discussion on what the "Waranty" doesn't say!

Iy anyone would like a copy, contact me off-forum!
Regards, Phil Corso

Further to my 30-Oc-10 (13:20)... can one tell if a proposed Energy Saving device or PF correction device is a Sham, Scam or Con?

The answer is yes! And it's rather simple. Contact me off-forum!

Phil Corso (Cepsicon [at] aol [dot] com)