mark v idos

hi all
yes i attempt to add an old machine to existing arcnet network .
Dustin,

Since you are using an exact image of another machine, it could have the same arcnet address. That condition cannot exist on ARCNET. In f:\config.dat the software config address will show the MKV address configured. Your arcnet card will have dip switches that configure it's address. For instance 1F on a arcnet card dipswitch are 00011111.

The old ISA arcnet card also had settings for HMI machine address space and interrupt that need to be configured. If your cloned machine is similar hardware the HMI machine address and interupt are probably OK. But check the arcnet card out and ensure the settings are correct.

AGAIN, The new arcnet address cannot be the same as any other host on the ARCNET. command line {arcwho} will tell you who is listening. Perform the arcwho from your working HMI. The will allow you to find a available address. For instance I type in arcwho from the command line. The response was that my HMI was at 1F. 2 more devices were listed. 31 and 01. I opened my config.dat file to find that 31 was the markV. There is also a way to ask the MarkV, another topic. So who was 01, well I know from experience that the only other device on the network is a EX2000 PWM exciter with the address of 01.

The comments in the config.dat will help you understand how GE liked to address the devices on the ARCNET.

Good Luck,

P.S. It is always nice to have a working backup HMI!!!!!!!!!!

Dustin,

Also arcnet is not just any coaxial cable. It is 93 ohm cable that has to be terminated at each end of the arcnet bus by 93 ohm resisters. contact contemporary controls for arcnet resisters and T blocks. 93 ohm patch cables can be found on the internet.

Hi all ,

Thanks for your help . I attached the file that contains error releted to arcnet .

Thanks .
The first attachment is the Hex error because the arcnet card machine settings are incorrect. The second attachment shows that your MarkV is at address FE. The third attachment lists the settings that must be set on the ISA Arcnet card.

That DIP switch shown on the screenshot looks very used and old...are you sure about that device working properly

see notes from OEM manual on that DIP SWITCH setting:

View attachment 1356
thanks again.
first the arcnet card is configured as the same one that is working perfectly .
my question :
2F SHOWn IN ARCNET.dat is the adress of mark v.so i have to avoid this adress with the dip swiths?.
the yellow message can disapper if i succed to configure the arcnet card without connect to arcnet lan ?
what about the pc bios? do i have to modify some parametrs?
thanks

Look for i_arcwho.exe or arcwho.exe in G:\EXEC. They are kind of helpful when trying to troubleshoot these kinds of ARCnet. Yes; each ARCnet ID can only be used once. If the ARCnet card you are using with your "old machine" (which you haven't identified .?.?.?) came from a working <I> (which is NOT and HMI), then if the BIOS and all other IDOS functions are working correctly it should work in the "old machine" you are trying to use. But, sometimes it just won't--because of the way IDOS works and works ONLY with some BIOS chipsets. Believe it or not--that's the truth. Not some BS.

You also haven't said if the LEDs on the ARCnet card do anything (flash; stay lit; etc.) when in the "old machine" when booted into IDOS.

It's NOT going to be something with ARCNET.DAT, and if you just pulled the ARCNET.DAT from a working <I> and inserted it into the "old machine", and you return it to the <I> and it works--then if you truly "cloned" the <I> it SHOULD HAVE worked. And, if it doesn't, then, well, it doesn't. There, unfortunately weren't a lot of helpful utilities or things written about troubleshooting ARCnet problems (heaven knows I tried when I was working with Salem to get more better information because it was something which was so new to turbine controls at that point--and there wasn't anything written to help--it either worked or it didn't. Period. And you had to call Salem for help--and hope you got someone who could help with the problem(s) (and there was only one or two people who really could--the others would just occasionally get lucky!).

Best of luck! If you succeed, it would be helpful to know what you did. If not, c'est la vie. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

Hi all ,
I dont know if i succeed , in the bios , i changed this option D000 32 K SHADOW from disabled to enabled and the yellow message gone , and the arcwho start scanning the network .
i hope yhis can be helpful thanks for you all .