Measuring Viscosity of Dense Liquid

S

Saad

I have an application where I have to read real time viscosity of a thick, viscous and opaque liquid, whose viscosity changes with time.

The liquid is put in a vessel where it is constantly agitated to slow down the increase in viscosity.

The Density of the liquid remains same and does not change with the viscosity.

Can anyone advise a device that is "not" very expensive and suitable for use in an industrial environment.

W
For laboratory sample measurement, yes. A paint viscometer, which can be had at most hardware stores.

For online measurement, no.

Walt Boyes

If money is a concern, don't waste your time.

Start looking at the operational indications that indicate viscosity is changing, such as agitator rpm's or motor KW, etc...

Not all process viscometers are necessarily expensive.

I would suggest here that you investigate an ink viscometer and talk with ProRheo.

For non-Newtonain fluids such as this a rotational viscometer will probably be a good option and the Covistat manufactured by ProRheo is designed to be a low cost rotational viscometer for ink applications.
This sensor is designed to top mount into a mixing tank where the raw ink and solvent are combined and mixed. It is also designed to be less expensive than most viscometers.

Talk to Lothar Gehm at Pro Rheo
http://www.prorheo.de/prozessviskosimeter+M52087573ab0.html