Motion Perfect v4 communication with Proface HMI

Hi all, new here and new to the automation field. I am using a Trio Flex 6 Nano plc and a Proface LT4301m HMI. I have a drive, servo, ethernet hub and sensor all hooked up (just created this setup to practice on). I have the sensor connected to the HMI and thats working correctly, as is the servo. What I'm trying to do is set up communications with the PLC and HMI using ethernet. I want to spin the motor when the sensor is tripped and play around with the programming etc... Using GP Pro EX 4.08 for the HMI software. Can anyone help me set up Motion perfect and GP Pro to communicate with eachother please?

Hi all, new here and new to the automation field. I am using a Trio Flex 6 Nano plc and a Proface LT4301m HMI. I have a drive, servo, ethernet hub and sensor all hooked up (just created this setup to practice on). I have the sensor connected to the HMI and thats working correctly, as is the servo. What I'm trying to do is set up communications with the PLC and HMI using ethernet. I want to spin the motor when the sensor is tripped and play around with the programming etc... Using GP Pro EX 4.08 for the HMI software. Can anyone help me set up Motion perfect and GP Pro to communicate with eachother please?
Hi

You may also need a device called "Motion coordinator" which is in fact a type of encoder /servo interface between PLC &
Motor ..

For the HMI RS232 port 1 or RS485 port 2 may be configured to use the Modbus protocol

There is also CAN bus that can be used for kind of interfacing

Always glad to support you !

James

The plc that you mentionning use Ethercat as comm protocol

Proface do not support Tri motion apparently..but Beckhoff yes..
Beckhoff use Twincat protocol..

My advise is to check compatibility first ..in term of support/comm protocol before to buy any equipment

James

I have the motion controller. The servo is connected to a Kollmorgen AKD-P01 and that to the Flex 6 Nano. These are the same components that we have used in other machines. I know we use modbus and CAN. I just looked at one of our other machines and the RS232\RS485 ports isnt even used. Everything is connected via ethernet using ethernet hubs.

I have the motion controller. The servo is connected to a Kollmorgen AKD-P01 and that to the Flex 6 Nano. These are the same components that we have used in other machines. I know we use modbus and CAN. I just looked at one of our other machines and the RS232\RS485 ports isnt even used. Everything is connected via ethernet using ethernet hubs.
Do you confirm that communication between Flex6 nano and other devices is done through ethercat or ethernet..
Did you check compatility/support by proface in this case...

We use both ports on the HMI, the ethernet and etherCAT. I didnt check compatibility because these were already in use in a machine.

I'm stuck on getting my HMI to communicate with the Nano. All I want to do is send the value of a bit (a photoeye sensor) to Trio. I dont know how to set it up in motion perfect.

I have about 13 years of experience using many types of Pro-face touchpanels.
I always prefer Modbus TCP, since that is an easy to use fast interface. But modbus RTU RS-485 also works great.
So you just want to send a bit to your trio flex nano PLC.
Since everything is already connected through ethernet, you can configure a device as a modbus TCP master (your nano PLC is then a slave) using the Schneider electric SA driver. In the setting you set the IP address of your nano PLC and of course the nano PLC must support Modbus TCP as a slave.
NanoPLC 4301.jpg

You can also make your NanoPLC the modbus TCP master and the 4301 the slave. For that you have to use the diver to MODBUS SLAVE iso MODBUS TCP master.
Make sure you set the IP address of the 4301 correctly in the offline screen of it.
And don't forget the gateway, but you probably already set that right.

Now, to copy a bit to this port, you can either use the ladder logic or a Gscript.
Here is the example of a Gscript. I'm assuming you will set the 4301 Pro face to modbus TCP slave
I defined an internal bit and the modbus TCP bit as variables
NanoPLC 4301 ADDRESS.jpg

The bit address is the one going to the outside.
Now the script. I will use Gscript (but you can also use ladder)
NanoPLC 4301 gscript.jpg

So every second the internal errorbit is copied to the modbus TCP bit, and your plc reads the modbus TCP bit from the 4301 on the IP address that you set in the offline menu of the 4301.

If you send me your email address, I can send you the GP Pro EX 4.08 file.

Thanks Patrick. I did get most of this figured out last week ( I dont work fridays). You have enlightened me on some other settings however so I'll take you up on the offer to get the GP Pro file. Thanks!

The hard part was setting up motion perfect. I had no idea I had to map the VRs in code. I was looking for settings in the software to do it.

Yes I also thought that the Pro-face part wouldn't be any problem. Though my 25 years in automation I worked with many Scada packages, one of the first I ever used for WizCon for Dos I guess.....and many followed after that.
Most of them had flaws or no support for basic functionality.
With GP Pro Ex from Pro-face I was also sceptical at first when I started using it about 12 years ago, but it is simple and it really works like it should. Very stable scada running on Windriver RTOS.
Keeps on running and the customer can just switch the power off/on on a touchpanel and in just a few seconds it is up and running again.
Try that with Windows/Linux based touchpanels........