Business tracking time and date of door opening

M

Markus Quinn

I am looking for a way to record the time and date for every time the front door is opened to my business and maintain it in a database or to a text file which I can export to a database.

Thanks.

Very simple to do this at a very low cost with a BarioNet controller from DataNab. It comes with a software package that will allow you to monitor state changes and log the date/time & value into an excel file...

R

Raymond van der Tas

You could program something in VB or utilize industry standards (OPC DA in combination with OPC A/E). The latter will make your solution ready to interface with for instance biometric (fingerprint/iris) door access control.

What you need is a little I/O device that signals the Open/Closed condition of the door. The OPC Server exposes the TAG Value (True/False) to the AlarmWorX32 module. Inside AlarmWorX32 you configure an Alarm Tag: "The Door". it will monitor the Open/Close TAG Value and generates an alarm/event: "is open", "is closed". The included OPC A/E alarm logger catches these alarm conditions and stores them into a database. (MS-Access, MSDE, SQL Server ..)

Now it's up to you to analyse statistics in for instance Excel using some SQL query

SELECT Tag, Message, ActiveTime
FROM AlarmData
WHERE (Tag='The Door')
ORDER BY ActiveTime DESC

You could also use the included Alarm Reporter Activex to have online graphical statistics. If you like you could use the included Alarm Viewer ActiveX in order to monitor the real-time open/closed conditions over the intranet/Internet.

You can download AlarmWorX32 from http://www.iconics.com/support/free_demos.asp

Regards,
Raymond van der Tas

A

Andrey Romanenko

Hmm... all the proposed solutions need a mechanical switch that is installed on the door and wired somewhere. However, it should be possible to use a very cheap webcam focused, say, to the top of the door, This should be bundled with pretty simple image processing software that detects motion. Then one can send the status in whatever protocol anywhere.

Andrey Romanenko
[email protected]