C or similar programmable PLC

• Thread starter Jose Miguel Garate
  • Start date
J

Jose Miguel Garate

I'm searching PLC manufacturers that allow me program the PLC with a high level language, like C or similar.

J

John Coppini

> I'm searching PLC manufacturers that allow me program the PLC with a high level language, like C or similar.

Find a plc that may be programmed with IEC1131 compliant software. the software includes a 5 languages, one of which is very BASIC or C like and another which is very assembly like. Modicon has several PLCs that can be programmed with Concept (iec1131 compliant).

Siemens is pretty cool, too. High level languages, Structured Text is like Pascal. Also can do some C with some of their add-on packages.

G

Greg Goodman

two that i know of are SoftPLC (www.softplc.com) and Z-World (www.zworld.com).

SoftPLC is a PLC built around an 80x86 platform running their embedded proprietary software implementation of a PLC. it's programmable in ladder logic, but they let you to write your own loadable functions in C/C++.

Z-World offers a line of C-programmable controllers for which they provide their own C compiler (they call it Dynamic C) and an IDE for Windows.

Y

Yosef Feigenbaum

Since you also posted regarding Device Net
perhaps you don't need a PLC at all. How about
providing some more information. Depending
on your application you might be able to get
off using a Device Net interface card to your
own specialized application in a PC.

V

Victor Morozov

B&R controller could satisfy your request. It's programmed using either well known laguages such as ladder diagram and statement lists or using high level language PL2000 which is based on structured text according
EN61131-2 and from 1999 you can also use ANSI-C. For detailed information look here http://www.br-automation.com

I seem to recall the Texas Instrument(now simatic TI) 545 cpu had Special Function programming. You could put an SF block in the ladder logic. A bit crude but handy for doing lots of maths.

D

Darold Woodward

Yes, the 545 and 555 have SF programming. I have used it extensively in prior work (large wastewater treatment plant with 13 PLCs). I wrote a lot of code in the SF Programming and found it to be quite capable for my needs. As I recall, you are also able to set up an SF Program that works in cooperation with a PID loop to allow you to do any pre-processing of inputs or post-processing of the PID output. Some of the systems I did were pretty complex (compound loops, queues, etc.) and I was pretty pleased
with the capability.

I also recall that the TI PLCs also allowed you to write modules in C and install them so that the would augment your PLC programming.

Compared to what I have seen and done in other PLCs (where math is done only in ladder logic), I have always considered the TI system as excellent.
Considering that Siemens is continuting to support the line, I must not be alone in that conclusion.

You might also find that using one of the newer generation of PLCs with an IEC 61131 style programming language will help. If you have access to the ST programming, it is also very similar to the Pascal-like SF Programming in the TI PLCs. I have designed a new system for performing automation in a protective relay based on the 61131-ST language specifically to help people do both Boolean and numerical math.

Darold Woodward PE
SEL Inc.
[email protected]

C

Curt Wuollet

If you find that the commercial vendors have little desire to meet your needs you could always check out the LPLC www.linuxplc.org. You can
even write the PLC if you want.

Regards

cww

try Z-World , that's all they do . They have C programming tools that include TCPIP , LCD displays , PID and other such goodies that run on their controllers and I/O .

W

Welton Davis

> B&R controller could satisfy your request. It's programmed using either well known laguages such as ladder diagram and statement lists or using high level language PL2000 which is based on structured text according
> EN61131-2 and from 1999 you can also use ANSI-C. For detailed information look here http://www.br-automation.com

Welton's Reply

I currently use the B&R PLC for my manufacturing machines. In my professional opinion, all other plc's are second to this platform. If you are an experienced programmer, you can do everything in C language using their Automation Studio editor. You can also use other IEC 1131 mandated languages. I also know of B&R integrators in the states that can help you. Contact me if you are interested.