How to choose Historical software

S

Suparit

Hi,

i need from every one, Pls help.

i got assigned to choose the historical software for offshore platform. Background: it now use CS3000 as DCS and PROSAFE as SIS and many PLC brand in package.

Planning is to implement Plant information software to do some report such as daily mass balance report. Some critical equipment report such as main compressor and to do some analysis from history trend.

So now i got no idea how to set a gain to compare with PI & Exaquantum. As Yokohama said that should be quantum course they can do more application that PI can't.

Exaquantum sale as compact it not separate in module as PI so i worry about in the future if we need to advance calculation such as heat exchanger performance. i don't know it can or not. Another thing is about the communication i not sure that the exaquantum got a lot of driver to connect to many controller or PLC as PI or not. Anyway if you got any experience with the two software Pls. share to me

Thanks very much
Suparit

W

Wassim Daoud

Yeah OPC Hub and Spoke seems to fit here ... it is based on store-and-forward technology and it is perfect solution for geographically distributed asset (i.e: offshore)...

OPC Hub and Spoke: http://is.gd/dT6C7

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect

A

Atish Bagchi

Hi,

In response to your post, I am giving a very broad guideline for choosing a Historian package since as integrators of MES and SCADA products we have extensive experience with some of the Historian products.

1)Typically, Historian suites are available in 2 variants:

a) Stand alone products such as OSI PI
b) Stand alone + Integrated products ( integrated with full blow MES systems) such as SIEMENS Simatic IT.

The second category offers a better future expandability particularly if there is a plan to have a MES system in future.

2)Data Acquisition capability: The Historian packages generally accept data from

i)OPC-DA sources
ii) OPC-HDA sources for Historical data retrieval and archiving
iii) OPC AE
iv) SQL compliant data

3) Data storage : Two methods that are popular are using Relational databases such as SQL server ( used by SIEMENS) or Time Series databases such as OSI-PI. Both approaches have their merits and demerits.

4)Archiving package generation for data and offsite storage and recovery of data from archives.

5)Handling of 21CFR Part 11 electronic signatures. In this regard, certain industries, such as pharma insists of complete compliance tracking. Some Historians are fully compatible such as SIEMENS while others comply only at the reporting end.

6)Recovery of data in case of loss of comms and/or hardware between source and Historian. Some systems do this better than the other.

7) Ease of analysis and Report Creation: Each Historian claims that their reporting tool is the easiest to use. However, report design is a subject by itself and unless the reports are designed properly, reports would run slowly and inefficiently. Further, reports shall be 'WEB BASED' and it shall be possible to trigger 'on event', 'on demand' or 'based on time'. The reporting tool shall be capable of interfacing with the plant email system and shall be able to generate report based on current data, past data and data from archives.

The reporting tool shall have the full analysis tools built in.

8) The Historian shall have the room to expand and must provide a data throughput handling capacity.

9) Ability to interface with MES and ERP system and / or integrate with MES / ERP system.

10) Guaranteed speed of response and availability while under stress.

11) Compatible with organisational security principles.

12) Support for custom scripting and availability of Integrators with strong knowledge base.

13) Availability of knowledgeable integrators and Product support team.

Most products are good. It is the experience of the integrators that makes an application a success or a failure.

These are some of the major points used in selecting a Historian system.

If you need further info, you can contact me directly on my official email and I can then share some of our experience with various vendor products.

Regards
Atish Bagchi

Atish.Bagchi [at]] spsoftwareautomation.com.au

Hi suparit,

Firstly as a disclaimer I work for Yokogawa.

Before deciding upon any particular Historian you need to clearly understand your user requirements both now and into the future; these then need to be ranked in order of priority. Once this is completed then the next step is to start looking at your options.

In terms of functionality PI and Exaquantum have the same base level features.

You have mentioned about the future for items such as heat exchanger performance; Exaquantum has a range of addons that can handle many different types as calculations such as Power station performance calcs, mass and energy balancing, FMC subsea integration.

I cannot speak for PI but Exaquantum can interface with any compliant OPC server, plus ODBC, XML, CSV, etc.

I personally have experience connecting Exaquantum to all manner of Yokogawa equipment plus other systems such as Honeywell, Rockwell, Siemens....

One of the key benefits that CS3000/Prosafe users like about Exaquantum is the integration when used with the DCS/SCS. Exaquantum can automatically add tags based on a set of filters, this can then be rerun throughout the life of the facility. We have seen significant labour savings with this method.
Also all your CS3000 graphics can be automatically converted to Exaquantum graphics (both thick client and web).

As a general word of warning look at all the various licensing terms for tags and users; what is included in these varies significantly between all vendors.

I am sure you have already contacted Yokogawa for information about Exaquantum, if not email myself and I will put you in contact with the correct people for your region.

Thanks
Brad
Brad(.)ford [at] au.yokogawa.com

Currently I am a PI user. It has complete set of interfacing to PLC, DCS and other communication protocol. It's a user friendly application and I like to use it. But it cost too much for annual maintenance and additional package.

I have also experience on interfacing project with exaquantum. It is quite easy for interfacing to other system during this project, but the application feature is not so user friendly. And what I don't really like is we cannot shutdown/power off the Exaquantum server. We have to build all point configuration if we do that. I don't know about the price.

I have also several projects with PHD from Honeywell. It has all feature what PI and Exaquantum have. The price is also much better compared to PI.

B

Bill Bambeck

Hello

I work for the Yokogawa group that created and maintains Exaquantum.

The comment about "And what I don't really like is we cannot shutdown/power off the Exaquantum server. We have to build all point configuration if we do that" is very strange. Exaquantum can be turned on and off without any problem and does not require any rebuilding of points. If Exaquantum is connected to CS 3000 with Exaopc (the Yokogawa OPC server) then Exaquantum will automatically retrieve process data and alarms & events using OPC HDA (expanded by Yokogawa to include alarms & events) when it is re-started.

Bill.Bambeck [at] ymx.yokogawa.com

C

Christian Petsch

Hi Brad,

my name is Christian Petsch working for KBR USA currently in project investigating potential replacement of existing client Exaquantum Historian with PI server for reasons of experienced instability in Exaquantum tag system of 100,000 tags for petrochemical facility. To me this does not really make sense unless there are inherent structural problems in EXxaquantum that warrant migration and duplication of data.

Based on older post of yours in Control.com forum on Aug 14, 2010 would appreciate any supporting information or further contacts.

Thank you in advance,

Christian Petsch
KBR
601 Jefferson
Houston, TX 77002
[email protected]