KEYENCE Ladder Builder

I appreciate your response to this issue. I found a Chipi-X Cable from FTDI, (USB to full-handshake RS232 cable with male DB9 connector). Is this the cable that you are referring to?

I'm not sure what FTDI adapter you are talking about in this old thread, but I see a lot of mention of Keyspan adapters in this thread which have caused me and others problems. See this (short Paul) thread: http://control.com/thread/1410449321.

>I appreciate your response to this issue. I found a
>Chipi-X Cable from FTDI, (USB to full-handshake RS232 cable
>with male DB9 connector). Is this the cable that you are
>referring to?

FTDI makes the chips. I'm not sure what the brand was that I bought. Probably Startech or one of those cheap brands. Of course now there are counterfeit FTDI chips out there that cause driver issues.... oh joy.

Ken E

S

Shane Sweeney

I'm also having issues with communication between my laptop and KV-16R. I keep getting the communication error. It seems to me that my laptop (with KV ladder builder & windows XP professional 2002) isn't recognizing the plc at all when I connect.

I'm using an RS-232 adapter with a phone jack (RJ11) into my laptop and the phone jack (RJ11) directly into the KV-16R.

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

What kind of adapter are you using? Is it USB or some sort of PCMCIA/CARDBUS adapter? I've seen several manufacturers of industrial automation use RJ11 jacks and there doesn't seem to be a standard that everyone follows. I would make sure that your adapter is pinned the same as the Keyence controller and if not make up an appropriate cable. We use the DB9 to RJ11 that Keyence sells.

S

Shane Sweeney

The adapter I'm using is also a DB9 to RJ11. I don't think we got it from Keyence but I''ll double check the pinnout to make sure it matches up. Is there anything you need to do with the COM settings in device manager on the laptop to make sure it recognizes the PLC?

I've not had to anything special in device manager except the normal re-assign the COM port numbers (COM1, COM2, whatever).

You shouldn't be having issues with communicating on an XP machine which is why I suspect the cable. If you have a way of proving the port works with a DB9 cable that would be good. Connecting port to port with two terminal emulator programs is how I do it... I believe you may need a null modem cable or adapter to do that.

KEJR

N
Hi,

I am using WinXP VMWare with serial to usb adapter, and all the setting are correct and still unable to talk to the KV-16 processor. If you had successfully communicate with it, please share step by step.

thank you