knowledge required for automation job...

A

Anonymous

hiii...

can anyone tell me what programming knowledge is required for getting job in any automation/control related companies?

e.g. PLC/C/C++ etc. anything out of these. Is knowledge of PLC really important to work in the above mentioned areas?

--regards

B

Bob Peterson

Forget the C/C++ and similar languages. They are rarely if ever used at the factory floor level. Just to hard to maintain and debug.

PLC, SCADA, and DCS of various types are the rule, except for a few very limited cases for general purpose control.

But really, programming is a very small part of the overall job. I used to think otherwise, but it eventually occured to me that programming is a means to an end. The really important stuff is your creativity, knowledge of the equipment, and ability/desire to learn about new things. If you have those capabilities, you can learn the other stuff. You will probably also need the ability to work long hours with little supervision, and not much in the way of recognition. The PMs will get all the bonuses and accolades, you will be the guy in the trenches actually making things happening.

You also need to know some pretty basic electrical knowledege, knowledge of applicable standards (like the NEC)and some basic chemistry and physics. Most of the chemistry/physics is not a whole lot more involved than a HS level class, or at least what used to be a HS level class. These days its hard to tell what comes out of most public schools here.