Level Indicator Plugging Problem

Hello Gents,

I need your advice about a problem we are encountering at our site. We have a high pressure (50 bar) gas/liquid separator drum and mounted on it there is a level indicator, level transmitter and bridle assembly which gets clogged/plugged so frequently due to presence of waxy materials in the separator. The bottom drain valves and lines of level indicator/bridle gets clogged as well. Is there any mean to reduce plugging or to prevent it entirely such as pipe online filters installed upstream the bridle (if such a device exists)?

Regards

I sounds like you need heat tracing on the bridle.
You could also use HP water supply purge flow (i.e.; low flow 10+ L/hr depending) to keep impulse lines and bridle wax free.

Thank you Retep for replying.

The heat tracing level gauge option is not applicable to our case since the fouling of level gauge and associated piping is not a result of freezing.

The second option of using purging water is difficult to implement since it requires water supply at high pressure ( greater than 50 bar) besides higher installation and maintenance costs and requirement for large modification in our systems.

heat tracing is regarding asphaltic depositions, otherwise liquid purges are require per a previous suggestion or alternative system design with may not be your option

> since the fouling of level gauge and associated piping is not a result of freezing

Is the wax formation that causes the fouling a result of the chemistry going on in the processs?

Hi Science20,
Keeping in mind I know nothing about your chemistry and process - and I understand the wax (scale?) formation is not cooling related - other methods I use (in order of decreasing enthusiasm);
Options;
1. Diaphragm seal style DP - i.e.; not purged, direct onto the bridle - DN50 or DN80 pressure pads which are significantly less likely to block - favourite and reliable.
2. Gas purged DP - similar to liquids purged but using gas - you will need a 50bar+ gas supply
3. Free space radar - depends on what is going on in the vessel - dielectrics , turbulence, shape, nozzles etc (can also gas purge the radar horn for more reliability long term)
4. Guided wave radar - as for free space - but a little more robust
5. Vessel weight - difficult to implement as a refit - only ever used this a couple of times
10. Nuclear level measurement - nothing but misery here for a heap of reasons - last resort only (cost, licenses, qualifications, maintenance etc)
Cheers, PB