Looking for a simple software that allows me to make ladder logic diagram for designing a control cabinet. No PLCs!!

Hello folks,

I've been tasked with purchasing an enclosure then assembling a simple control system. This cabinet will house 24vdc, 120vac, 12vdc & 480vac power sources. I wanted to create a simple ladder logic diagram so that I can put my thoughts down on paper, come up with a BOM before placing a large order with Automation Direct.

I've downloaded Wondershare Edrawmax as a trial version just as an experiment. Please let me know if there's a better application for this that can be installed on a PC that hopefully doesn't have $$$ for an annual subscription. Again, there is no PLC in this enclosure, just simple wiring with switches, lights, powering of 24vdc and 12vdc field devices, etc.

My client will eventually move toward LabView as their preferred method of controlling field I/O and using the same as an HMI. My background is in Siemens, AB, and some of the smaller PLCs (from 20 years ago) so I need to download and learn LabView if I want to support my client. They're farming out all LabView programming to a third party in FL and my company is in NM so they have no local support, other than me.

Cheers.

Hello That Dude,

What are you looking for about this thread here.
I mean what are you waiting from us by this thread.

I know LabVIEW Matlab simulink they are pretty powerful tools and software to use for some process

Regards,
James

Are you looking for software to simulate hard wired relay logic? I haven't tried it, but there are some open source circuit simulation programs that work similar to P-SPICE. Here's one, but I don't know if it supports relays. You'd have to check it out.
https://ngspice.sourceforge.io/resources.html
Yes, some kind of software that allows me create a circuit inside a panel so that I can account for all term blocks, components, etc. I can draw it all out on paper but I'd like to look professional that allows me to think the wiring through before I order everything.

I'm not doing a PCB or anything, just a simple wiring design inside a 24" x 20" x 10" Saginaw enclosure with lights and switches on the front door.

Thanks for the reply.

Ali

Hello That Dude,

What are you looking for about this thread here.
I mean what are you waiting from us by this thread.

I know LabVIEW Matlab simulink they are pretty powerful tools and software to use for some process

Regards,
James
Is Matlab a free software for individuals and can it help me come up with simple panel wiring diagrams? I'm not creating anything fancy, just something to help me put my thoughts down and come up with a BOM.

Thanks.

If you're just generating a wiring diagram and not trying to simulate, it gets simpler. I've seen reasonable drawings made using MS Visio, but that may note be included in your Office license. Most CAD packages are licensed for commercial use (which is what yours would be since you're using it at work). I use AutoCAD but have use DraftSight in the past (prefer AutoCAD). Both are licensed.

I remember seeing conversations about free CAD software but can't remember which forum they were on. You might do a search here to see what comes up. For simpler projects, the open source software may be more than sufficient for you.

If you're just generating a wiring diagram and not trying to simulate, it gets simpler. I've seen reasonable drawings made using MS Visio, but that may note be included in your Office license. Most CAD packages are licensed for commercial use (which is what yours would be since you're using it at work). I use AutoCAD but have use DraftSight in the past (prefer AutoCAD). Both are licensed.

I remember seeing conversations about free CAD software but can't remember which forum they were on. You might do a search here to see what comes up. For simpler projects, the open source software may be more than sufficient for you.

Thanks for the reply and I have Visio while wishing I had the stencils for all of the control stuff, like relays, switches, wiring junctions, etc. I've thought about creating my own objects and just run with it as I don't really have THAT much stuff to deal with in this tiny enclosure. Perhaps I can buy a control stencil (maybe I'm calling it wrong?) to add to my visio, if that's possible.

Below is something I've been learning and creating using the Wondershare EdrawMax software for PC. As I mentioned, it's a simple enclosure :)

1660236283933.png

I just opened a blank document in Visio and it said no stencils were open. I clicked "More Shapes" and drilled down to Engineering -> Electrical Engineering and it gave me a bunch of options. We are using Visio Professional but I don't know if that matters.

My client has a two seat Acad electrical license and I've asked them to add a third seat so that I can use it. I prefer Acad because that's what I know and supposedly this package helps you come up with a BOM after creating a diagram. Hoping this will work!

I have Visio too and will play with the electrical stencils to see if they'd be sufficient.

Yes, some kind of software that allows me create a circuit inside a panel so that I can account for all term blocks, components, etc. I can draw it all out on paper but I'd like to look professional that allows me to think the wiring through before I order everything.

I'm not doing a PCB or anything, just a simple wiring design inside a 24" x 20" x 10" Saginaw enclosure with lights and switches on the front door.

Thanks for the reply.

Ali
Have a look at https://qelectrotech.org/ this is a free package that will allow you to draw out circuits I think this will be far more professional than using a Pen and paper. Steepish learning curve but loads of tutorials. I think it can also export to things such as AutoCad and can do bills of materials.

Another alternative would be to draw them up in VISO it has a library of electrical symbols but won't track wires as https://qelectrotech.org/ will.