MK VI cannot get online

R

Richard

We are trying to connect UCVB hardware (with BNC Ethernet port) to laptop using Toolbox (ver. 11.02.09C), running an application written for UCVE hardware (RJ45 Ethernet port).

We have connected the laptop to the MK VI via a media converter BNC to RJ45 with ELR (50ohm) fitted, we can ping the MK VI from the laptop OK and we can read/set time on the MK VI through the Toolbox software. We can validate and build the software all OK with no errors, but we fail to download the application code. Error message received is Received failed _ SDI is disconnected.

Q1, We have a major difference, is this due to a program written for a UCVE and the hardware fitted is actully UCVB?

Q2, Has anyone else had any experience of using converters BNC to RJ45?

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

You are confusing two separate issues.

You have conceded that you are able to communicate with the UCVB using the media converter (10BaseT to 10Base2).

The problem is that the download is not being accomplished, and you are probably correct in your statement that the software, if it was written for a UCVE, can't be directly downloaded to a UCVB.

I believe in Toolbox, there is a way to specify the revision of the cards being downloaded to. Unfortunately, I don't have access to Toolbox any longer, but I believe if you can reconfigure the UCVx card in the Toolbox application you are attempting to download to a UCVB, you will likely be successful.

I used a USD$10 Ethernet switch with four RJ45 ports and a BNC port for years with never any problem--as long as the software configuration was compatible with the hardware being downloaded to. (The real problem was finding a power strip that could accommodate all the power adapters. The power adapter for the Enet switch was bigger and heavier than the switch!)

Q1: If your firmware is up to date then the solution is EASY. VAL/BUILD/DL (CHECK OFFLINE DOWNLOAD) you can NOT dowload online with a major dif. It will create your disconnect msg. Once you preform the offline DL, reboot and you should be ok.

If firmware is not up to date, you may have to use serial connection GE P/N 336a4929g1 intercon (small 9-pin connection) and use hyperterminal - try offline download and leave this out if possible.

Q2: not ever tried (sorry)

I doubt the media converter is causing any problems. (I've got one for my UCVB, never had or heard of any issues)

Much more likely your problems are from trying to download a M6B configured for UCVE to a UCVB. :) Assuming the UCVB can run the application code at all (B is a lot less powerful than the E), you'll have to modify the Hardware and I/O Definitions, deleting the UCVE and adding the UCVB to the Mark VI I/O rack. I just tried this myself and didn't have any problems, but I'm not sure what exactly you're doing (in particular, is it a real rack with a VCMI, or just a UCVB? in the latter case, you have to set the Clock to Internal or the controller won't boot. Controller not booting often is reported by Toolbox as an SDI communications error)