tank volume formula

Hi Johnolivier,

Considering vertical cylinder the volume should be calculated by the formula 3.14 x radius square x height. Basically, for the volume of a liquid the convenient unit is centimeter. So, based on your dimensions whatever is in feet i converted in to centimeter. Accordingly, the volume value is 33328096 cubic centimetre.

Then, as you know that 1000 cubic centimetre is equal to 1 litre then your cylinder volume 33328096 cubic centimetre is equal to 33328 liters.
Based on that you can convert this liters in to gallons ie., 33328 ltrs. divided by 3.785 (because 1 gallon = 3.785 ltrs.) will give you 8805 gallons as a result.

Simple calculation (in inches)...
diameter x diameter x length x .0034

120 x 120 x 180 x .0034 = 8812.8 gallons

Hope this helps

From an old Fire Fighter.
.0408 x's Diameter squared (in inches)
x's the Length in feet.
Your tank is: 8,813 gallons.
Bob

G
excuse me.

i'd like to know the formula the calculate volume of liquid in a horizontal tank with torispherical ends at different level.
can somebody help me?

thanks a lot.

To anyone still interested... the September, 2011 issue of "Chemical Engineering" magazine contains a downloadable spreadsheet solution to "Calculate Liquid Volumes in Tanks with Dished Heads!"

The authors are D. R. and R. B. Crookston.

Regards, Phil Corso

Wow. Just in time, this has helped me so much! This article is incredibly well made, as well as the spreadsheet that comes with it to make it even simpler. Needed it for a vacuum truck application which is now solved.

Thanks Phil!

The tank is a flat sided horizontal tank. 150 inches long by overall height is 80 inches by 70 inch radius with a round bottom.

Dear,

if you have mentioned article than could you plz send it to me at [email protected]

>To anyone still interested... the September, 2011 issue of
>"Chemical Engineering" magazine contains a downloadable
>spreadsheet solution to "Calculate Liquid Volumes in Tanks
>with Dished Heads!"
>
>The authors are D. R. and R. B. Crookston.

<b>MODERATOR'S NOTE:</b> Google is your friend. This article is behind a pay wall for the magazine. You may have to pay for it.

http://www.chemengonline.com/calculate-liquid-volumes-in-tanks-with-dished-heads/?printmode=1